Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Winter projects

Rollerman

I think most of you here on the site have heard me mention I'm in the paveing business.

With the cold weather setting in the paveing season is over & I can get to some of my shop projects.

Those are "& may add more :D " finish my 1045 restoration, get atleast 1 of the lever steers done, build the Army Ranger, & start on a 702.

Oh & don't forget my honey do list :P

Working on the tractors keeps me from going nuts & getting cabin fever in the off season.

I'm just curious if anybody else here at Red Square works a similiar type of job that slows down or stops in the winter months...construction, lawn maintanace/landscapeing,fair weather mime?

Stephen in northern IN

Sparky

I wish I could get a couple months off! I used to do construction(electrician) but now I do trainer installs for the Navy on Submarine Bases and its an all year gig so no winters off for me. Although they do send me to Pearl Harbor Hi, San Diego Ca, and Norfolk Va, every now and then so thats a nice break from the winter weather here in New England. Last year I did a 2 week job in Hawaii in the middle of February which was sweet :D ! Wife doesnt like me travelin to much but it comes with the job.

Mike...........

PS. there were no Wheel Horses in Hawaii either....I checked :P

Rollerman

Mike sounds like an interesting job though...does the misses get to go on the HI gigs?

Wheel Horses don't seem to be as common out west of the Mississippi & Hawaii...now thats getting way over there.

However if you ever make it to Spain....keep an eye out for them early RJs over ther that Elmer flew over to fix as per the story in the Martino book.

Now that be a find!!

Stephen in northern IN

T-Mo

Nope, no seasonal job here. I work 12 months a year. A few years back (from 1988 to about 1992-93) the company sent me on business trips at least once a month. Mostly to Navy bases - so I've been to Pear Harbor, Long Beach, San Diego, Norfolk, Newport, Philadephia, Detroit, and in the high desert area of California. Just missed trips to Alaska, Singapore, Taiwan.

Mith

I'm in on the mowing game, though on a very part time basis, which stops over winter. Fortunately service work starts when mowing stops, so there is always work out there.

I've actually got some paving to do this winter, every year at about thins time when everything turns to mud I think I must pave such and such area. And this year I think I might get round to it!

Sparky

I havent got her to Hawaii yet but I was in San Diego this past summer for a 2 weeker and she flew out for a 3 day weekend. I have a room, car and spending money provided by the company and used frequent flier miles for her plane ticket so the whole weekend cost me just $10.00!

Mike.........

nylyon

No seasonal work for me either, but I do get to work from home and travel very little so you would think that I'd be able to get some projects done. Nope!

Sparky

The way I see it Karl, if the 414 is plowin snow and the 416 is blowin snow then the C-120 should be in the tear down stages gittin ready fer paint :D .

But seriously, I know what ya mean about not being able to find time to get projects done, (like my "D", 656, and C-105 pullin tractor).

Mike........

nylyon

And I am itching to get going on that too... Hopefully after Christmas, maybe Santa will bring a K301s rebuild kit :D

T-Mo

Karl,

I hope you do start that C-120 project. I'm sure you told Santa about needing a rebuild kit! :D

Rollerman

I'm anxious to get one or both of the Ponds rolling again.

If the weather holds out I'll have the one sandblasted this week.

I think Santa's going to bring me some new tires for one of them.

My 1045 is about 98%...but I gave up on the hood I have & am searching for one in better shape....I am deffinatley not a body man.

This past season paveing was a slow one....but there have been times I've worked 80hrs a week or out of town period.

So the winter lay off is welcome in my book.

Stephen in northern IN

catman81056

I drive a Redi-Mix truck and things have been mighty slow lately. I've already filed for my unemployment to get the 1wk waiting period out of the way. Been working a few days at my old job at the custom auto shop but thats spotty at best.

Just taking it 1 day at a time while trying to stay busy in the garage. The tillers coming along, I'll have to post some pics.

kpinnc

My job is year round, but the overtime definately falls off when the weather cools and the thunderstorms stop. The occasional ice storm causes problems...

I work for the local phone company. Been at it for 11 years, first as a installer/repairer, then worked 4 years in the Network Operations Center, and now a Central Office tech. I got a desk, but I'm mostly in the field. I have run onto the shoulder of the road a time or two looking back under a shed or barn at a faded red tractor every once in a while (found all but 1 of 7 WH's that way). :D

Anytime the power is out for more than 8 hours, I'm rolling with portable generators. All of our sites have battery backup, but only about 30% of our 200 remotes have fixed generators. Of course, lightning reaks havoc on electronics, no matter how much protection you put out there. Circuit boards don't like high voltage. :P Luckily, we're at 100% fiber optic at least on the links to all of them, so lightning has to pretty much hit directly to do much nowadays...

I still get more done in the summer. It doesn't get dark until much later.

Kevin

Rollerman

Kevin I've found many tractors & implements paveing residential streets & alleys up here.

One of the perks of the job I guess :D

Those fiber optics seem pretty precious, well the boss hates to hear about it when one gets broke.

Catman I used to go down south of Champaign every 2/3 winters to the Blaw Knox factory for a school in Matoon, I don't think they are there any more since Ingersoll Rand bought them up.....you know the place?

Stephen in northern IN

catman81056

No can't say I know them, about the only thing I went down that way for was the Coles county drag strip about 5 miles East of Mattoon. But thats been quite awhile ago.