toomanysplinters

K301 Won't Even TRY to Start...

toomanysplinters

Hi All,

I'm very new to the forum and a have a few questions (to start with).  I'm very happy to have found this great source of information, and I'm sure it will come in handy while trying to restore my tractor.  I know very little about engine repair, but am willing to learn.

About 12 years ago, for my birthday, my wife bought me a 1276 that I had seen.  It ran well and was pretty sad looking, but I ended up using it around the yard as a work tractor.  Anyway, to make a long story shorter, the charging system stopped working and it ended up sitting unused for about 10 years.  I recently tried to get it started and have had no luck.

The engine is a 12HP K301 Kohler with a AC Delco/Remy starter generator.  I replaced the ignition switch and the wiring from the battery to the ignition switch, starter, and coil.  With jumper cables from my working tractor, to the battery leads of the Wheel Horse, I can get the starter to spin the engine.  With the plug out, I have a spark.  I know that there is a carburetor issue but have not looked into that yet.  I tried spraying starter fluid into the carb, but it didn't even try to fire.  I also tried spraying it right into the cylinder with the same results.  I have not tested the compression yet, but i know that it has some, as it's tough to spin the flywheel by hand.

So here's my question.  Why won't the engine even try to fire?  Is it possible that I'm not getting a spark when the plug is installed?  If so, why?  What are some other things that could cause this problem?

Another question I have is what the full model number should be for this motor.  There are no tags, but I know that it's a K301.  Was there a common model Kohler used for the 1276?

Thanks in advance for any tips on what to try next, and please be kind, I'm not an engine mechanic... yet.

Scott

posifour11

Stuck intake valve? Put a tad of something like seafoam spray into to spark plug hole. NOT STARTING FLUID, it can do more harm than good.

If you get a start, fuel isn't getting through the valve.

oldredrider

You may want to try a NEW spark plug.

toomanysplinters

The spark plug and the wire to it from the coil is new.

rmaynard

First of all, in answer to your question on the engine number, the 1276 had a K301-4712.

Secondly, the old rule of thumb for making a 4-cycle engine run is - you need three things:

1. Compression

2. Fuel

3. Spark

So, if you are missing any one of the 3, you will not get it to run. The K301 has ACR (automatic compression release) which reduces compression on start-up. But even with that, if you check your compression you should have about 60 psi.

If you are spraying fuel or starting fluid into the throat of the carburetor, and you have spark, then the most likely thing is no compression. For an engine that has been sitting, it is not uncommon for one or both of the valves to be stuck open.

The next test for me would be to check the compression or remove the head and take a look-see at what's going on in the combustion chamber.

Ken B

Often times you will have spark with the plug out but as soon as you put the plug back in if the points are badly worn or oxidized you may be losing spark while under compression. I'd at least clean the points up with a points file or some very fine sandpaper and put a new plug in it, then give it another whirl.

toomanysplinters

Thanks for all of the tips.  I'll have some time to play around with it this weekend and I'll report back.  I'm also borrowing a compression tester so I can see what measures.

Callen

see if you have juice to the coil with the key in the run position. You may have the incorrect ignition switch

toomanysplinters

Ok.  I tested the compression and I have between 85 and 90 PSI.  I did start poking around with the plug though and it seems as though I'm not getting a good consistent spark.  My next step is to investigate that.

• Like 1

b112restoreman

Try taking out the spark plug and pour a little bit of gas inside then tighten the spark plug back in and crank it until it starts 

Desko

Any update on the old horse just curious to see what was wrong.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Ditto.    :text-+1:

• Like 1

Nathanielperz

Room any splinters is my father so yeah we got it running as you can see AMC...

Toomanysplinters I meant stupid auto correct

Nathanielperz

It turns out there was a bees nest in the points box thats why it wasnt getting a spark.

Coadster32

It turns out there was a bees nest in the points box thats why it wasnt getting a spark.

Lightning bugs now... :icecream:

• Like 1

Nathanielperz

Yep lol i dont even know how they would have gotten in there... but i have a you tube channel its Wheelhorse Rookie and there is my 1276 check it out. it runs beautiful