Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

4 Pinion to 8 Pinion Upgrade Possible???

leeave96

I bought a 1997 314-8 new and it has 1-1/8 inch axles and an 8 pinion rear.  That same model year, the 312-8 (and hydro) came with 1-1/8 inch axles, but a 4 pinion rear.  I remember at the time someone said, "all you have to do is add the 4 additional pinions if you want the strength of an 8 pinion rear."

Is it really that simple?  I don't know that I'd split a rear end just to add 4 pinions - from what I read, the 4 pinion is plenty strong.

But if one wanted upgrade a late model 312-8 to a 8 pinion rear, would it be as simple as splitting the case and adding 4 more pinions or is it more complicated than that?

Just curious.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Bill

Forest Road

It is that simple! However that late a model more than likely had an 8 pinion. Unless your doing some serious pulling or plowing snow every day I wouldn't worry about it.

I rebuilt a 1992 312-8 trans. It had 1-1/8 axles and an 8 pinion diff. If it ain't broken or leakin DON'T FIX IT!

Just my $.02

gwest_ca

Tractor 1997 312-8 73363

Uses 92-8707 8-speed transmission with 4 one-piece pinions (11 tooth 101623 spur gear) differential and 1-1/8" axles

[Note with 85518 clevis hitch Non-ground-engaging implements only, unless 4 additional differential pinions are installed]

Look in 1997 at the 85518 for the 312-8 Note #5

Garry

can whlvr

i dont think all diffs can just acept 4 more pinions,it wont work on my 308 rear end as i have a spare diff,so i went to add the extra pinions and the endcap wont accept 4 more,but the 1 18 might have the bigger  end cap with enough holes