Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Simplicity Broadmoor (2001) - Anyone have one?

rmaynard

I have a friend who is retiring to Florida and not taking his 2001 Simplicity Broadmoor with him. The tractor is in excellent condition with less than 200 hours on the clock. It has a 44" deck and is a hydro. The engine is a 17hp Briggs.

I'm considering buying it from him.

Any good, bad or otherwise comments would be appreciated. 

He is asking $850.00

Thanks!

shallowwatersailor

Just for comparison, on Machinefinder there is a 2001 with 900 hrs. for $750.00. It should have a B&S Vanguard which is good; and a Tuff Torq K61 which has a drain plug so the 5W50 oil can be changed. Another good!

rmaynard

Thanks John. That's good info.

dclarke

Bob, I have a Simplicity regent, '94 I think that I bought used from a guy at work. It has a 14hp engine and a 38" deck, I use it to mow the yard and have mowed a 6 acre cemetery with it several times. I really like mine, it just keeps going and going.

rmaynard

Thanks Denny. Looks more and more like I might make an offer. I'm trying to get a confirmation on the hours.

Kelly

Sounds like a nice mower, I like my Briggs 16hp V twin 

leeave96

Generally the Broadmoor is a great lawn tractor.  My Dad has a Prestige with the 44 inch deck and it gives a nice cut.  You will experience some grass blowout from the left front side of the deck.  Simplicty makes/made a kit that basically lowered the front lip.  I think you can make one yourself if you feel you might need one.  One thing about the Broadmoor (IMHO) is the transmission can be the weak link.  I can't remember the model tranny, but I'm pretty sure it is a Tufftorq K-46 with a charge pump and a different K-XX number.  If you do a search, you will find a goodly amount of posts on the K-46 tranny.  I worked with a guy that had a Broadmoor and the tranny went out on it.  He replaced it and as far as I know, never had another problem.  My Dad has a Husqvarna lawn tractor too and it has a K-46 tranny in it.  The tranny in it went out at 22 hrs, but was replaced under warranty - so far so good.  I just bought a 14 hp Briggs Vanguard engine out of a Broadmoor with a bad tranny.  I don't mean to scare you off from the Broadmoor, as IMHO, they are a very nimble, excellent cutting lawn tractor - just giving some info you might want to know ahead of time.  BTW - in this section of the forum look at my thread for Simplicity Landlord DLX.  I think the Landlord might be a slightly stretched version of the Broadmoor with a much stronger transmission.

Bottom line - I think you'd like the Broadmoor and if you can get it to lay down stripes, you'll love it.

Good luck,

Bill

rmaynard

Bottom line - I think you'd like the Broadmoor and if you can get it to lay down stripes, you'll love it.

Comes with the striper. Problem is, my lawn is in the woods and it is so uneven that striping won't make a difference.

perry

Comes with the striper. Problem is, my lawn is in the woods and it is so uneven that striping won't make a difference.

simplicity decks hook to the front axles and ride on the rollers in the back  { anti scalp )  and follow the contour of the terrain .  they patent that design in the 1950's and still use the same design on the newer machines today.

my decks wont scalp unless both tires were to go off a decent drop at the same time.

leeave96

simplicity decks hook to the front axles and ride on the rollers in the back  { anti scalp )  and follow the contour of the terrain .  they patent that design in the 1950's and still use the same design on the newer machines today.

my decks wont scalp unless both tires were to go off a decent drop at the same time.

Perry - quick question

Does your deck pivot side to side with the axle?  In other words, if your front wheel drops in a hole, does it force the deck down on one side and up on the other as the axle pivots?

Thanks!

Bill