Sign in to follow this  
nolarefugee

Spline Shaft on 5-1211 Mower Deck

nolarefugee

I have a spline shaft nut that has come loose.  I'm trying to determine if it can be fixed or should I just try to find a replacement?

Anyone have this happen before?

It started out as a blade change, then the first blade wouldn't come off because the nut would just spin...  That then led to this discovery and the bearings are bad too....  I've ordered the bearings.

Thanks, Dan

gwest_ca

Looks like that spindle assembly has already been replaced with a later version. Take a look at this chart. Click on the line for the 5-1211.

The 108849 spindle is still available from Toro but expensive.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/

Garry

nolarefugee

The mower deck I have, which is model number 5-1211, looks identical to this one: 75-48MS02, 48" Side Discharge Mower, 1977

Here it is on part tree site:

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=75-48MS02%2C+48%22+Side+Discharge+Mower%2C+1977&dn=803638R2-38R20003-0002

I'm going to order two shafts, one for to use and one for backup.

The part number for the shaft used to be 106064 and is now: Toro Consumer 99-5362

Hope this helps somebody in the same boat.

gwest_ca

The part number for the shaft used to be 106064 and is now: Toro Consumer 99-5362

The bearings should be 6203 with a 3/4" ID for that shaft. Later they went to a metric ID and shaft.

Garry

nolarefugee

I need to mow, so I put the new bearings in last night and put the shaft with the bad nut back on, tightened everything back up and seems to work fine.  I wasn't able to mow last night, but hope to get to it this evening.

The upper bearings looked OK, but I wanted to replace them anyway - but didn't know how to get them out w/o damaging the seal on the top of the assembly.

Is the seal ripped out and replaced to get the upper bearing out of the assembly?

nolarefugee

Does anyone know if I just rip out the old seals with the intention to replace them with new ones?

I'm not sure how else to get the upper bearings out of the spindle assembly.

Thanks for the input.

groundhog47

I am fairly certain that set up you have is like/similar to mine and see you have the IPB to follow. If so the bottom bearing has a snap ring (26) holding a sealed bottom/open top bearing, in between the top and bottom bearing is a spacer (24) then an open top and bottom bearing below the seal. Between bearing and seal there is a spacer (18). Pull out the spacer, from bottom push middle spacer (24) aside where can see to top bearing inner ring, use a driver punch or shaft less than 3/4' and tap out top bearing which should push out seal. If bearing and seal is bad less care necessary, but if good, use care not to punch/press on roller balls. Rotate and do same to bottom.  I believe they that nut list as brazed on and could be rebrazed??. Do you have the spindle cup and bottom bearing spacer also (27 and 28) diagram.

nolarefugee

Thanks Gerry.

I do have the cup and bottom spacer too.

The weird thing about the snap ring on the bottom, is there is NO PLACE to snap it into...  I don't know if it's worn off or the housing is from another spindle setup or what.

I have ordered a new shaft to replace the one with the busted nut.  The next time I have the deck off and feel spunky, I'll pull it apart and replace it.  I will also order three top seals to have just in case I destroy the seals when removing the top bearings.

BTW, the top bearings were all there and were NOT sloppy.