Sign in to follow this  
rdavis1005

ID A Wheel Horse

rdavis1005

Can anyone ID what model Wheel Horse this is?

I got it from my father. It has been sitting for about 15 years I'm guessing. I spun the motor and it is free. It needs quite a bit of work, but I would love to restore it for by boys to play around with. The only number I have found are 46944 but that was on top of the transmission gear display sticker.

Any help is appreciated.

Also - Where is the best places to find replacement parts?

Lane Ranger

Check your belt guard for a number on the decal area that is indented.  It may be painted over but you may get a number by using fine steel wool lightly to remove overpaint.    This is anywhere from 1961 thru 1964 with that hood and the missing gas tank!

TT

I'll put my money (of which I don't have a lot) on it being a 1964 854.

It is definitely a 1964 and out of all models produced that year, only two were configured like your tractor: the 754 and the 854.

There were only 421 754 models produced and they apparently all had serial numbers in the 48000 range.

• Like 1

brianc423

Does anyone know why the 854 had blue? my uncle had an 854, and some of the paint had started rubbing away in some spots and it blue was showing through...what up with that?

rmaynard

Between 1964 and now, there were a lot of opportunities for owners to paint and repaint. Unless the tractor has been in the family continuously, you will probably never know. But from what has been read hear on RedSquare, Wheel Horse never custom painted tractors. There is always a possibility that a dealer may have had them painted locally for a special purchase.

My 1968 Commando 8 was yellow underneath, but it had been repainted by the previous owner, and the yellow was probably primer.

brianc423

Thanks Maynard.

groundhog47

I only know it's an elder, I like it, and you'll more than likely have a great time refurbing! :WRS:    

For parts try member vendors listed bottom of signed on page, classified (listing is free and members sell here as well as member vendor listing), ebay, Miller Tire, and will let someone else closer to your area list their favorite Toro Consumer site. The elders are of course rarer and limited on what comes up, greatest of huntin' to ya. 

Edited by groundhog47