Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

2-link vs 4-link chains

nylyon

I was thinking about chains this morning after a suprise 2" snow fall yesterday. Is there an advantage to having 4-link chains instead of 2-link. This is the first year I've had chains at all, so it is all new to me. The 2-link are supposed to have a better ride and that makes sense, and they would probably fair better for traction on slippery surfaces. What about a cleaner surface like after the plow clears the surface to asphalt. Would the extra spacing of the 4-link allow the tire rubber to have better traction on the asphalt where as the 2-link has almost no rubber contact? I've got to stop thinking of things like this :D

T-Mo

I know that over on wfm, topics like this come up frequently. Unfortunately, I didn't pay any attention to it when this topic was approached (and it seems not too long ago). So I'm going to claim ignorance here and just keep this topic near the top of the forum for the more expertise here can see it better.

Rollerman

Karl I think you pretty much covered it in your question.

The 2 links are all around better...ie better ride,better traction,better at resisting wear...but at a higher price!

4 links will make teeth fall out & bolts drop of if you like to cruise around the neighborhood to plow drives.

But there cheaper...probably wear out faster to since there is less there to work with.

Traction on clean surface's :D ...would think you would have enough tire hangin through the chains to get a grip?

Also consider the smoother ride again...the 4 link chains hop a bit...thats got to upset the traction on a smooth surface?

Okay I'll shut up now....LOL

Stephen in northern IN

Brrly1

Hello Karl I myself vote for the two link.If you think about it the two link will get better traction all the way around be cause if you are cruisn' the sidewalks and you hit an icy spot the tire will spin until the chain catches and at that point I have to believe it would be hard on a rearend. Spend a little extramoney now and save a little later. It's only an opinion Good Luck John :D

Brrly1

Constistent Traction versus Half Traction :D

Curmudgeon

Two link without the welded on bars for added traction will give decent traction, a smoother ride and for those who blow snow in their living rooms, are less likely to scratch the surface beneath.

For the ultimate in roughness, get the 4-link with the added "teeth" welded to each crosschain link. With these, you can dig to China if you loose forward momentum. LOL

Options, so many options..................

Dale