Sign in to follow this  
dieselhorse

Should I, shouldnt I, repower the 8-8spd

dieselhorse

Ok, should I repower the 8-8spd with a 6hp diesel, or sell it and get a different tractor to repower? The pros are the one I have now is already fitted for winter snow work, and everything works as it should. The con is the fact that its in nice original condition. I would need to do something about the way the seat sits. I dont care for the low to the ground feeling I have sitting on it. The seat mounts right to the fender pan on that model, would rather sit about 3-4 inches higher up myself. Just looking at options at this point, and opnions. I will be in chat later if you want to discuss with me. Cheers Mike

HorseFixer

I would rather see you do the 8 8 speed tractor personally and do any mods to that -vs- say an 854 or something really high in demand. just my opinion! B)

Duke

dieselhorse

If I do something else, it will be a Massey MF12 hydro. I really want a larger tractor for plowing. I am still building the 551 suburban diesel wheel horse to keep a horse in the stable The 8-8 was really a one year machine and I dont see many of them out there. This one is really nice, mows nice and I dont really need a mowing machine. My tractor fun now is chores, plow day plowing, and snow removal with a blade. I have a line on a MF12, but would need the 8-8 off to a new home prior to that. That is why I posed the question, since this is such a nice, unmolested horse, I am feeling it needs to stay that way. Mike

T-Mo

Mike,

Since you asked for opinions, I'll give you mine, for what it's worth. Myself, I would leave the Kohler in it, since it's running fine and has been recently rebuilt. You can always find another rolling chassis to drop a diesel in. And since you already are set with the snow removing implements for this tractor, I would leave it be. Ultimately the decision is yours since it's your tractor. But you asked and there you have it. B)

dieselhorse

Thats exactly my feeling, its to nice and it has a good running Kohler in it. She does need a good new home though. Not enough room to start a herd here. Mike

Kelly

Where are you located? I have a few tractors that need motors, that I would sell, and have plows. I'm in lower MI.

dieselhorse

Mikie be in Kokomo Indiana, I just put the WH on ebay. Have several Massey MF12's being offered, none real close, but working ideas and need this sold so I can jump when the right deal comes along. Mike

Docwheelhorse

You could easily jack up the seat and get the extra height you want..... Plus I would leave the Kohler as a diesel in wintewr may prove to be a PITA. As a final note---Gettingt rid of a horse for a Massey Ferguson!!!!!!! B)

If it ain't RED its better off DEAD..... yah I know a Massey is partly red but...... getting rid of an easy to work on common tractor with lots and lots of parts to get a tractor that isn't so easy to get parts for :whistle:

Tony

dieselhorse

Diesels are only hard to start in the winter for those that dont understand them. Cheers Mike

bustedglass

Don't mean any dis-respect, but really, WHO CARES. It is your tractor, you can do with it what you want. Sounds like you wanted to sell it all along anyway. Just my .02

dieselhorse

That is very true, it is my tractor. If I use the little crank start diesel, it would work a bit better for the cranking part, than down almost behind the rear tire on the 551. But I would loose the ablity to run the mower deck or a snowblower. Basicly the engine would just run the drive belt to the trans. I would have to rig up something to run the headlights as this diesel has no charging system and the battery and mount would have to go to make room for the engine. The actual mounting spot would be about 1.5 inches further toward the rear on the frame, so a shorter trans belt would be necessary. I studied the idea in the garage for about an hour, with the engine sitting on blocks beside the Horse. It would defintaly look different! Mike