Sign in to follow this  
Redline69

416-H with a hydraulic lift, that doesn't.

Redline69

Howdy,

This just started the other day. Dad was using the 416,and after he moved the deck lift lever, the deck stayed down. It does squeal a bit, but no lift action.

I always assumed, (probably wrongly), that these hyd lifts where somehow incorporated with the hydro drive, using the same reseviour. Again, I'm now guessing that is wrong?

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Appreciate it.

Frank

dbartlett1958

Frank,

The oil supply for the lift cylinder is the same as the transmission. Is the oil at the proper level. If low, it would cause trouble.

daveoman1966

The trans IS the reservoir for the hyd lift system. My guess is that some hardware lift linkage came apart. If you hear that squeal at both extremes of the lift lever travel, that tells me the ram cylinder is at its very end of range and can't travel anymore...either in or out. Look under the tractor when someone is moving the control lever up / down and see if the hyd ram cylinder is traveling at all. If so, there is a linkage separation somewhere.

If not.................

1) Check fluid level in trans

2) Is all hardware lift linkage properly connected to deck (something come apart)

3) Is there a puddle of fluid dripped onto the floor OR onto the deck, directly under the hyd ram cylinder or control valve.

Redline69

Thanks for the replies guys.

OK, so the trans,and the lift do share the same reservoir. Good to know.

I did check the oil level David,and it's a bit low, maybe 1/4" from the full level line. I didn't think that would be the issue.

There is a very small leak at one of the lines going to the cylinder Dave. Maybe some Teflon tape will fix that.

I didn't have a chance to check anything else on it yet, hopefully tomorrow, then I can follow up on the rest of your suggestions.

Appreciate it.

Redline69

So to double check with ya's.. the oil used in the trans is just 10-30 detergent engine oil?

Jeff-C175

Maybe some Teflon tape will fix that.

I doubt it.  And the 'slivers' of teflon that could get into the system could real muck up the works.  I suggest NOT trying to use teflon tape to seal any part of a hydraulic system.

Redline69

Yes,Good point.

I am careful, and always try not to get any tape near the end of the fitting, but I understand your point.

So again, just 10-30 detergent engine oil in the hyd reservoir?

ericj

yes 10w30 motor oil, and the oil will desolve the teflon tape. i never use tape on oil fittings for this reason and i worked on oil burner furnaces for 8 yrs that's were i learned about it. i use the yellow pipe dope on threads just becarefull to not over do it

eric j

cheesegrader

Try to tighten the fitting down before you mess with tape or pipe dope.  Might get some relief by replacing the O-ring.

If the leak is from the swivel joint in the fitting (like mine), these will not work.  You will need a new fitting, or a new hose.

I still think it sounds like a linkage problem.  Does the ram move in and out when you move the hydro lever?

If so, the problem is linkage, and not hydro.

Jeff-C175

What cheesegrader said... the hydraulic fittings are "O-ring boss" types and they do not seal on the threads.  The O-ring is what seals the fitting to the cylinder. 

If you've got a leak the odds are VERY good that it's not an O-ring, but rather the swivel fitting on the hose itself leaking and no tape or sealant will fix that.

Edited by Jeffpicks

Redline69

Appreciate the additional helpful info folks.

Never got a chance to check it out yet, and tomorrow I got an invite to go fishing for walleye and bows.....

I will get to it, because I need that machine fixed..lol.

Thanks.

Redline69

Well, I feel like a Doof.

Finally got a chance yesterday to check it out closer. Went to remove the deck,and it was much more of a chore than it should have been. Hmmm....

Something wasn't quite right.

Felt up under the frame,and I could feel a bar loose from it's moorings. Finally got the deck off,and the lift arm had broke on the one side of the 1/2" rod that attaches to the frame. Well...that was CLEARLY my problem. Also missing was that little bushing that went on the one side of the rod. Sooooo, I was in a bit of a conundrum,because I was probably a week away from any new part to be ordered.

Went to talk to my guy, who used to work for the WH dealer, (but is no longer there..) he told me a local was parting out an old 416 (this sounded promising!). It was a whole 3 minute drive to his place, and he had an old 416 there, no deck or motor left, but that arm,and the bushing,and E clip were all there. A couple 1/2" wrenches, a screwdriver and a minute later, I had my parts in my hands. For $20 I was happy to get what I needed, that same day.

The part of the arm that holds the deck was a bit worn, but after some fill welding, and filing, it was good to go.

I did double check the fittings while I had everything out, and they were a tad loose. So a quick snug up of that, and I believe we are fixed on this issue.

Appreciate the guidance folks.

Frank