Sign in to follow this  
BretzFamily

417a kt17qs 24350 spec

BretzFamily

I just became a member of this site. Also just became a wheelhorse owner. Someone called and told me to take it out of his yard for free. A complete horse and free is a goodday maybe week ok well back to my many questions which i have not.found previous threads for. First of got the engine to turn with a jumppack on the starter all belts move back to the trans gas good no spark. i found no continuity through the plug wires sobuilt some withthe old clips and new wire to see if i could just get.it to fire. nothing still so i went to the points condensor they seem good no burnt sign bright and shiny so i went farther noticed the pto safety switch one side connector is broke is there a way to bypass? first question < i went to the seat switch and seen it was bypassed. also dug 5 plus inches for.the pedal switch is there a way to bypass these to see if that's it. also do you need a battery to get spark and fire this beast.? ignition works fine cleaned connections. is there anything I'm forgettin also i get continuity through the pos neg post on the coil does that mean its good.

I had to rewrite a lot of this due to my phone and to big uncoordinated fingers so ask me any questions maybe i forgot it or did not do it.

Edited by BretzFamily

gwest_ca

Sorry we do not have the 1985 manual

1986 operator manual and wiring

Battery ignition so a battery is required.

Garry

BretzFamily

I have already gotten an manual just wondering where tha spark is ill hook up a battery and see if i got spark thank you.

BretzFamily

On small engine suppliers they actually say i have an 84 wheelhorse probably 85 engine?

BretzFamily

Ok i got a battery on it go to crank but does not crank voltage reads but my selenoid might be bad then right i have a selenoid just laying around off a differwnt tractor would that work or is my ignirion bad? please and thank you

BretzFamily

I d/l the 86 manual every wiring diagram is blacked to where i cannot view hmmm... i went to toro and got a view with my mpdel number but not the colors though i eould like some questions answered would help me out a lot.

pfrederi

Run a wire from the positive battery terminal to the small post on the coil marked +.  Then jump your solenoid. 

I looked at the download manual Garry suggested and I can read the color labels.  Maybe you need to try a different computer.

Jeff-C175

You do realize that you butt must be in the seat and the clutch pedal pushed and PTO NOT engaged in order for the machine to crank, yes?

If you've got switches all bypassed and stuff, that means that previous owner was screwing around with the wiring and what not... So I'm guessing you've got wiring issues that you need to sort out.

I guess my point is that you need to be able to view and understand the wiring diagram, and know how to use a multimeter or a test light to troubleshoot and isolate the problem.

In first post I thought you said it cranked?  Is that not correct?

The manual looks fine here also.

Edited by Jeffpicks

BretzFamily

Yeah i took a jumppack straight to the starter and it cranked for days that is when i seen no spark they bypassed the seat switch the pto switch a connector on it was broke but that is ok to just unplug no jumper needed? the pedal switch i am going to jump tonight. i could run to the coil but that is for seeing if the coil is good right and you have a risk of burning up the thing.yeah the harness was taken off to the ignition the only thing hooked pedal switch rear lights front lights. i hooked the ignition up and everything i use a phone for internet so that probably why i can't view it ill try again i do know how to use a meter and test light i own them. just wanted an opinion and thoughts of some owners who know the common problems with this unit and others

gwest_ca

Here is the single page wiring diagram for the 1986 417

Garry

BretzFamily

Helps a lot thanks!

BretzFamily

Almost forgot to thank you all and let you all know. I'm up and mowing. have more questions but will post them where they belong. i also enclosed a.picture of my horse

post-11075-0-12696900-1374446282_thumb.j

Jeff-C175

Tell us what you found!  Inquiring minds want to know!  :techie-eureka:

BretzFamily

Bad safety interlock switches. pedal switch was under dry grease/grass . Also bad selenoid i can hit it and it start soon as the starter engages. That is what my final conclusion is. It was so simple i totally made it a mess at first. It was a mess but i got it running right the carbs were easy to set. For a twin opposed i thought it would be louder/higher rpm. Is there an governor adjustment or is it just that way.

Jeff-C175

Yes, there is a governor on that engine (governor on ALL small engines!).  It should be set up so that it does not rev any higher than 3600 RPM.  If you google "KT17 manual" you can download the manual for the engine from Kohler.  There is a page on governor adjustment, but you should not need to routinely change that.  Once it's set, that's pretty much it.  I've had mine for over 20 years and never had to touch it.  Rev it above 3600 and you'll probably throw a rod...

Yeah, the opposed twins do seem quieter than the singles.  Might just be the bigazz muffler they have.

Glad ya got it!  Enjoy the ride!

BretzFamily

Just wanted to make sure there were no adjustments. i seen somewhere timing jumps on wheelhorses so just xhecking. Already have become will probably own more