Sign in to follow this  
MalMac

Controlling Hydro Temp.

MalMac

Just a question for thought. We know on the Eaton 11 and the other hydros there is a fan that is supposed to help cool the hydro's. If memory serves me right I think Wheel Horse came out with a option for an additional electric fan to be mounted to help move more air over the transmission. Something telling me it was for the D series but I have seen them on other tractors.

Now supposedly a person wanted to mount a hydro oil cooler on the transmission. Where and how would you mount it? How would you get enough air flow through it? Or would the fact that the oil moving through the radiator type of cooler be enough to drop the oil temp down. Would it cool it down too much?

Just a question I am putting out there for a engineering type of mines. Some of the stuff the RS membership comes up with is amazing. (i,e, Duke among est others)

Fordiesel69

On our new holland 30HP diesel, if we would have bought the hydro version, it would have an oil cooler in front of the radiator.  On the wheel horse there is no good place to mount such a cooler because there would be no way to get air thru it.  Any electric fan would require more power than the little stator type charging systems could provide. 

Best way to run it, is at full throttle, lower ground speed, and have regular maint done.  Mowing will not get the unit as hot as dirt pulling.  Example being plowing, tilling, towing an attachment, etc.

Red-Bovine

I never had issues with the transmission temp light going on until maybe a year ago(1992 520H). Once it did it and I discovered the fan blades were broken. I have not been very diligent about cleaning grass out from around the transmission. When doing work on the tractor last week, I did give the transmission a very good cleanout (lots of grass packed in). I will be mowing today in temps in the 80s, so this will be a good test.

An oil cooler would be nice, but I'm not sure how it would be plumbed in. Using the hydraulic lines might not be practical due to the high pressure. You would certainly need a cooler that could withstand the operating pressure of the system. Not sure what that is, but would guess it would be over 1000 psi, probably closer to 2000. My new Honda GX630 does have OHVs and an oil cooler, though. That will definetly help cooling the motor over the Onan.

Red

boovuc

Hi Red,

The Eaton 1100 isn't as high pressure as you thought nor I would have thought. Pump output is around 800 PSI but still high pressure enough. As you wrote...check blades, clean the fins, check the fluid levels, viscosity visual and color of the oil.

Red-Bovine

Good to know, Boo!!! I guess the implements aren't that heavy don't require really high pressure. Thanks!

Red