Sign in to follow this  
dieselhorse

Pic of the diesel for the 551

dieselhorse

I am hoping this will fit, its a big larger than I thought. Wont know till the tractor arrives. She is 20" from end to end. I know if it wasnt for the belt clutch system on the 8-8spd it would fit on there perfectly. I have about 21 inches in that engine bay. I am sure I can make it work in the 551, just going to take some thinking. I was able to "cut" some threads into the exhaust port to allow me to use plumbing pipe to route the exhaust away from the engine. I am hoping to route it along where the factory exhaust pipe ran. Hey TT, measure the engine bay in my 551 and see what it is between the rear and the hood upright mounts. Enjoy the pics, it runs well, you hold the compression release and get it wound up good with the crank handle, then let the release go and she fires right up. The engine has a cast iron block, very heavy for its size, probably about the same as a k181 in weight. She also has a really nice paint job, dark red metalic on the fuel tank and sky blue metalic on the block and shroud. I think I will leave it painted that way. For an idea of scale, thats a muffler from a cub cadet 149 in the second pic.

Mike

000_1768.jpg

000_1769.jpg

T-Mo

Mike,

I'm not trying to be a critic here, but I'm not sure if that thing will fit into a 551! B) It seems to be orientated different, like it's 90 degrees out of whack. But I do hope it fits without too much modification to the 551.

TT

The 551 models use a strap steel rear hoodstand that unbolts from the frame. If all of the mounting tabs are removed from the frame rails, there's nothing to get in the way between the transmission mounting plate and the steering shaft. Since the steering shaft goes up at an angle, the 21" distance at frame height decreases to around 17" right around injector height on the diesel.

The other issue is going to be the starter crank handle to rear tire interference.

dieselhorse

The starter handle is very compact, I think it will be ok. I know it look backwards, the flywheel is on the opposite side we normaly see them on, but the rotation is correct with the flywheel on the belt side. I tripple checked this before I bought it. I even checked it again once I got it yesterday. my only concern was its length. I think I can deal with everything else. Guess we will find out once the 551 gets here. Mike

jerrell

B) hello dh, thought i would jump in here and ask some ?'s, i have a work horse, GT1800, and looks like i have a lot of room under the hood, i have been looking for an engine (gas) but after seeing your post, started thinking about a diesel, i have three diesels now, a yanmar 2000,(just overhauled) and a Belarus 250AS, and a chevy 6.5 dually, i like the diesels , a lot less maintance, but the price of diesel is driving me crazy. B) B) .. anyway i am considering 2 diesels, one for the GT and one for an Excell 295 Hustler, i need a 20 or 30 hp for the excell, would you help me out on where to look for diesels, the excell has 2 shafts, one on each end to hook up to the pump and one to the PTO, i can get the GT pretty easy i think ,( did you have problems with the PTO pullys????) ,but am having trouble finding one for the Excell, needs shafts of 1 1/8th , the engine in it now is a Continental TC56, 2 Cyl, and VERY heavy, as it was made in the 50s i believe... B) that thing is a tank, ,1800 lbs, very heavy metal... :whistle: this is just in the thinking stage so all advise will be very useful, thanks jerry

dieselhorse

The company I go thru for my diesels, carries this design as well as the clones of the Yanmar LA series of air cooled diesels in the 4.5, 6 and 10 hp ranges. I used the 4.5hp diesel in both of my repowers, one was a WH 653 and the other was a 112rf John Deere. The 4.5 has the torque and power of a 7-8hp gas and did great in those tractors. I think the 6hp diesel will fit in the square hood Horses and the 10 in the larger GT series. I was able to use the factory pulleys on each engine when I repowered. Mike