Sign in to follow this  
forphase1

Seals in a 1979 C-141 Hydro

forphase1

Due to my son playing too hard with my WH while I was at work (apparently trying to pop wheelies...long story) I have a leak in my transaxle I think.  I haven't broken anything apart yet, but I assume that there is a seal in there somewhere that my son broke.  The fluid that is leaking is the oil from hydro system, and it's leaking between the tire and the transmission.  I'll try to get pictures later.  Does anyone know if I'm possibly right about a seal, and if so where I could buy a new seal?  I've not had to mess with the transmissions/drive systems of any of my WH yet, so I'm a bit not sure where to begin.  Thanks in advance.

daveoman1966

Probably torn axle seal...item #15 in this schematic....it is part # 6449 &  can be had for about $9 at dealers. 

You can pick out the old seal and install the new one without taking the trans apart. 

Remove the hub from the axle (the tough part) and slip in the new seal.

If everything was new, this is an hour's job.  However, after 34 years..... you'll be a while.

forphase1

Awesome.  Thanks a ton.  Got a project for this weekend then, if I can get a seal here quick enough.  Much appreciated.

forphase1

Finally got around to fixing it.  You nailed the problem exactly and it's running like a champ again.  Thanks a ton!

MalMac

I believe I would find the young man a different form of entertainment that might not involve the Wheel Horse. Your lucky it was just a seal. New parts for those transmissions are hard to come by. On the other hand even though it's been many a year ago that I could call myself a young kid. I can see the draw of something with wheels and a motor.

Jeff-C175

Make sure you've got those setscrews for the hubs torqued to 30 lb/ft or you'll be running with loose hubs and wearing stuff out... you can't do it with an open end wrench unless you are the Samsonite Gorilla.  You need the proper socket (8 point - 3/8") to bring them up to torque, and it's good practice to replace the setscrew and key with new.

• Like 1

forphase1

Great advice!  Thanks.