Sign in to follow this  
JimD

Gettysburg

JimD

As many of you who were at the show this year, this is the 150th Anniversary of The Battle of Gettysburg, and that you were close to perhaps the most historical place in the country. I happened on this video animation and explanation of the battle today and for the first time got a very good perspective of how this battle played out. I found it fascinating...

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/gettysburg/maps/gettysburg-animated-map/

• Like 3

Lane Ranger

Jim:  Thanks for posting this .  I have been watching and taping this 150th Anniversary of Gettysburg on the History Channel all weekend.

Here is also a fascinating GIS Project Map the Smithsonian had prepared for this anniversary that explains who Union soldiers did not appear in view to lookouts, scouts and Lee from their vantage point during the first part of the battle.

See the Smithsonian Interactive Map at: http://bit.ly/1crQWYd

-PAXP-deijE.gif
news.yahoo.com
GETTYSBURG, Pa. (AP) — On the second day of fighting at Gettysburg, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee listened to scouting reports, scanned the battlefield and ordered his second-in-command, James Longstreet, to attack the Union Army's left flank.
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

That history of Gettysburg is amazing, but with the amount of events scheduled for this weekend...

the amount of people attending will make it a madhouse there...to say the very least.     :confusion-helpsos:

Not to mention the heat index they're calling for this weekend.    :angry-extinguishflame:YUK!

Edited by MAYHEM '13
  • Like 1

fireman

My family and I are down here in Gettysburg right now. It's gonna be a crazy week i'm sure. Any of you local guys want to pop on over I'm here till  Sunday the 7th.

Edited by fireman

rmaynard

My family and I are down here in Gettysburg right now. It's gonna be a crazy week i'm sure. Any of you local guys want to pop on over I'm here till Sunday the 7th.

Did you get to see Pickett's charge? That is one of the great reenactments that I have had the pleasure of seeing.

Even though we only live 35 minutes from the battlefields, we tend to stay away during this time of the year. The crowds are too much for this old guy to take. We were there the week before the WHCC show and it took twice as long to get through town as normal.

Hope you have a great time. G-burg is a great place to visit, and on the 150th anniversary there is so much more to see and do.

fireman

Just got down here yesterday. The next big set of re-enactments is scheduled for the 4th thru the 7th. We plan on being at those. For the next few days we are just going to cruise around and see some of the smaller demonstrations and exhibits. This is our fourth time at Gettysburg and have pretty much scene everything. But with this being the 150th. I felt like I had to be here. If I could live in any period in history it would be the Civil War era. Not so much as for the war although it does fascinate me, but the time period of mechanical invention. As most of you guys know I like to fabricate with metal and such as seen on some of my tractors. But problem solving with mechanical design and inventions really is what I live for. I would love to make a swinger style tractor like Bob Rock has made in the past. I think when I retire from the fire department this area is where I am heading! Slower pace of life then the rat race I live in up north!

Edited by fireman

squonk

That history of Gettysburg is amazing, but with the amount of events scheduled for this weekend...

the amount of people attending will make it a madhouse there...to say the very least.     :confusion-helpsos:

Not to mention the heat index they're calling for this weekend.    :angry-extinguishflame:YUK!

Maybe they will run another marathon right through the re-enactment :naughty::ROTF::law-policered:

AMC RULES

I hope they do too.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

chazm

Have to drive thru g-burg everyday, what a zoo.... I guess living near here & seen all the sights, don't get to excided.

Wouldn't want to be any of the nackers, having to wear the wool suits :angry-steamingears: in this heat

Happy 4th to everybody :banana-rock:

chasm    :flags-usa:

rexman72

i need to bring my kids there

KC9KAS

We drove around Gettysburg while we were at "The Big Show"

fireman

Yesterday was busy here in Gettysburg. Had to park in satellite parking at the outlet mall and get bused to the visitor center. They really don't have enough buses or didn't plan on getting this many people coming. I think I saw license plates from almost every state including Canada. Today we are going to bring our bikes with us and ride to the location instead of waiting for shuttle buses. We brought our bikes last year and were able to cover much more ground that way.

AMC RULES

Pretty sure they rent Segways there, on the battlefield too Jeff, just in case you get too hot to pedal.   :happy-bouncyredfire: 

http://segtours.com/

Edited by Doc Giddy-Up

fireman

Got back tonight at 8:30pm. Wow was it crazy. The estimates were close to half a million people visited over the week. Like I said earlier in the thread I really enjoy the history of the whole Civil War era. Well I made a rather "special" purchase that is the equivalent to what the Pond Senior is to Wheel Horse collecting when you talk about the Civil War, which now is very secure in my "special" safe. Cost almost as much as the Senior did  :jaw: .

Edited by fireman
  • Like 2

JimD

I hope you'll show us your purchase. :)

fireman

This is the only pic I have at the moment. It's a 1860 Spencer Carbine. I have the documentation to show it was issued to the 12th Illinois Volunteer Cavalry Company D in 1864. Wasn't at Gettysburg but it was used during the War. It is all original except the stock was light refinished probably 30 or 40 years ago. The bore is bright and clean with no pitting. It is fully functional and will probably fire perfectly. Overall it's in great condition with a lot of the original finish. All of the markings are ledgable. I just couldn't walk away from this. It's an unbelievable piece of history.

post-1626-0-81525300-1373304841_thumb.jp

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Are you a reenactor Jeff? 

http://reenactmenthq.com/

JimD

Thanks for showing us the rifle Jeff. It truly is a beautiful piece of our national history.

fireman

No not a reenactor (at least not yet!). I am toying with the idea though.

MalMac

Beautiful rifle, to own a piece of civil war history is special. I wanted to go to Gettysburg for the 150th but thought better of it. I knew it would be a zoo. We had in are family a 2 star Union General buried at Gettysburg. Was not killed there but died shortly after the war and family requested he be buried there.

fireman if your thinking about reenacting ready for it to be pricey. I don't reenact but, I go around to different schools talking to the student about the Civil War. A lot of schools barley touch on the subject anymore. I dress the part as a 2 star Union General and the money it takes to replicate right down to the correct buttons is like taking out a mortgage. Are family also had members on the other side of the Mason Dixon line and trying now to put together Confederate attire.

Thanks again for showing the rifle. You must feel awfully proud of it, I know I would.

fireman

I finally got home after 72 hours strait at work. Took the rifle out to drool a little again and shot a couple of quick pics for those interested. 

post-1626-0-20524100-1373499519_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-13013100-1373499561_thumb.jp

• Like 1

posifour11

Simply gorgeous. My wife is going to Gettysburg tomorrow. Anything she should see? Its been ten years since I've been there.

fireman

It really hasn't changed alot. They keep improving what's there. I would go the National Military Park and tour the museum and see the Cyclorama. Then maybe head down towards Steinwehr Avenue and check out that area.

GlenPettit

I think the best value and most interesting to do is the Bus Tour - - -

BUT, go on an  early morning tour , about 8 or 9am:  less traffic, shortrer lines, quicker ride to each battlefield, and best of all, the older/experienced tour guides prefer sign up to do the early tours because it's cooler & more confortable for everybody, and you get a much better and more interesting tour/presentation from a fresh guide.

• Like 1