Sign in to follow this  
bell

Well, I'm officially HOOKED...

bell

I brought home the B-100 last week... ended up needing a total rebuild (broken rod) and I don't have time to mess with it right now... BUT, I love the tractor... so, I will save it for a winter project...

Today, I went to visit my grandma and grandpa... and I remembered that he had a couple old Wheel Horses beside his garage... They've been there for years and I kinda forgot about them...

I asked him if they were still there and if I could look at them... He said yes, so... off we went.

I asked him if he would be interested in getting rid of the one that caught my eye.. (a 60's 876) and he said, "sure, when can you come get it?" I said, well... what do you want for it? He said, "I want it out of here, is what I want" lol.... I'll be picking it up tomorrow... :whistle: :horseplay:

It has been sitting outside for several years, but looks to be in very good condition... The engine turns freely and it has a mower deck on it... B)

More pics tomorrow... B)

JB

newestHORSE.jpg

mailman

Wow! Lucky You! Thats a freebie and it was family owned to boot! Way to go! Now make your grandpa proud and get er up and running! He will smile Big Time! :horseplay:

rustbucket

this is an addiction. when i got my GT-14 i was hooked and end up now as im driveing down the road looking into yards open garages and any where and everywhere looking for the next one. i am up to 5 in the matter of several months and still looking at the 854 that the one guy i know is looking to sell me for reasonable price. still working off the trade though to see what he dose and dosnt want.

bell

I really don't know anything about this tractor yet... It is a 876 Automatic.. Would that be a Hydrostatic drive?

I cannot wait to get this thing home and get it running... :horseplay:

TT

It would be a 1966 8hp with the Sundstand Hydrogear automatic.

'66 was only the second year WH used hydros and they are a little quirky and hard to get used to. I had one identical to the one you're getting and it worked very well with my sickle bar mower and the snowthrower. B)

bell

Great info, thanks... B)

Curmudgeon

Good find! Just think it's only the beginning.......

rustbucket

welcome to your new addiction i mean collection habbit.

bell

Well, I just got home from grandpa's house...

We got the 876 loaded up and he said he had a couple decks that I could have too... B)

I told him that IF he ever got tired of looking at the "other" Wheel Horse, to let me know and I'd come get it out of his way... He said, well.... you have the trailer here now... Lets load it up! :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

I have no idea what it is, but it is fairly complete... I believe the engine is from one of those yellow ones, as there are no "ears" on the oil pan... Also, it has a 1" crankshaft...

Here's some pics! :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

AHAUL_001.jpg

AHAUL_002.jpg

AHAUL_003.jpg

AHAUL_004.jpg

AHAUL_005.jpg

There are 2 of these... in pretty good shape... One of them is just the shell...

AHAUL_006.jpg

And, this one... I believe it is a 80's model, but I cannot make out the numbers on the tag...

AHAUL_007.jpg

pond195520032003

JB, the other Freebee tractor is a 1965 model-1045 and is also a good collectable tractor! has a 10hp kohler K241AS engine, with a 4spd uni-drive transmission they are some what hard to find! that type of oil pan was used to be able to put the Big Block kohler in the smaller tractors! looks like the original engine too me B) good deal :whistle: :horseplay: :banana:

Teddy da Bear

Congradulations..... Grandpa must love you a lot to pass these on down!

TT

JB, the other Freebee tractor is a 1965 model-1045 and is also a good collectable tractor! has a 10hp kohler K241AS engine, with a 4spd uni-drive transmission they are some what hard to find! that type of oil pan was used to be able to put the Big Block kohler in the smaller tractors! looks like the original engine too me

I see what you see, Greg, but you might want to look a little closer. B)

JB..... there's a metal tag riveted to the hoodstand (under the dash) on the 876. Could you see if there's one on the other tractor - and if it is there, (I think I see one) can you get the number off of it please?

Kelly

I see what your getting at TT, it has many of the right parts, rear fenders, lift arm (angled back to clear the gen.) motor and pan, someone cut the rear of the box that goes around the shifter, and some wrong one's steering wheel, dash panel, seat, tire's all, I can't see the spindel's to see if they are the 63-64 style, but over all looks like a 1045

TT

I wasn't implying that it isn't a 1045 by any means. I just can't tell if that is flaking paint, or a painted over VIN tag.

The front of the hood looks correct for a 1045, but it's really hard to see in any of the pictures. I first though the toolbox was '62/'63, but upon magnification of the pictures, have concluded it to be a 1964 part.

Regardless, it is a great deal for free! :horseplay:

It'll need a lot of TLC though.

Kelly

Sorry thought you were thinking it was parted together, by the way the 1045's don't have a riveted tag, they have a sticker on the left side of the dash tower just below the tank tray

Edit; maybe the right side of the tower, I'll go look, and yes free is great no matter what shape or model

TT

That's why I questioned it when I thought I saw the tag.

The way the left side of the rear section is hacked up and welded to the outside edge of the hoodstand made me wonder if it wasn't just a 1055 with a round hood rear half.

B)

TT

And, this one... I believe it is a 80's model, but I cannot make out the numbers on the tag...

AHAUL_007.jpg

By the way, JB....

That deck is for a late 70's / early 80's vertical shaft lawn tractor - like a B-82/112/115/165, etc.

Here's one in the gallery:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1369

bell

There isn't a rivited tag on this one... It is a sticker, like Kelly said... BUT, it is messed up.. right where the model number is...

It has obviously been hacked up and thrown together... Should be something to get CRAZY with... Maybe a "hotrod" style one... like a SWEET black one I've seen around here... :whistle: NICE job BTW TT....

I got them unloaded about an hour ago... I'll get some better pics tomorrow.

Thanks for all the info guys! I really appreciate it! B) JB

bell

I'm contemplating using the 10HP on my B-100... I know the mounts are different, but I think I can overcome this...

What worries me though, is the crankshaft size... My B-100 has a 1-1/8" crank and this one is a 1"... Is there any way to overcome this and still have a working PTO? Could I maybe use a PTO off of another tractor?

bell

Congradulations..... Grandpa must love you a lot to pass these on down!

Yeah, gramps is great!

He's actually not even my grandpa, but to me... he is!

He and my grandma got married the same year my wife and I got married. He's GOOD people. B)

He has an AMAZING collection of stuff... MH Pony, Cub Cadets GALORE, and even an Economy with ALL the attachments, that he still uses... I definately love talking tractors with him... :whistle:

bell

Another question for y'all...

What model SHOULD this engine be? Is it the K241?

EDIT: I just noticed pond's post about it being a 241AS lol....

What does the "AS" designate?

Could I use the flywheel, starter, tins, etc off of my 241S on it?

Kelly

To use that engine, you will have to make a riser plate so the crank center line is at the right height, and you can use a crank sleave off a 8hp motored tractor, that uses the newer style pto, as they have a 1" crank, but still use the same pto.

Kelly

It is your to do as you would like, but if this is a real 1045, it is worth saving, there is supposed to be only 1100 of them built.

bell

To use that engine, you will have to make a riser plate so the crank center line is at the right height, and you can use a crank sleave off a 8hp motored tractor, that uses the newer style pto, as they have a 1" crank, but still use the same pto.

I can handle that! B)

Anybody have a crank sleeve off of a 8hp that they want to get rid of? I have WH parts to trade! (decks and a partial 1961 Suburban)

bell

I realize that this could be a rare tractor, but how in the world will we ever be sure without the model number?

Also, there is obviously a LOT of modifications that have been made to it and LOTS of missing parts... To me, I would probably have more in it, by the time I found all the "correct" parts... If I ever found all of them... I just don't know... Something to think about I guess... I'm in no hurry to do anything with it (other than get it running) B)