Sign in to follow this  
MrCTTJ

314-A

MrCTTJ

Hello first post first WH  I picked up a 314-A last week the previous owner could not get running so he pushed it out to the curb with a FREE sign on it.

He swore up and down  that it needed to have an engine over haul after he put new points and plug and all new fluids he gave up.

One carb cleaning later I was cutting the lawn at my house with it. It has a 8 digit serial number and looks to be a 1984 model year and completely unmolested.

I could use a little advise though on the trans.  What trans is this it doesn't look to have a filter and the fluid doesn't seem to have been changed. The drain plug looks to be plastic and Im concerned that it will break with too much force. Can anypne tell me whan the threads are on the plug so I can come up with a substitute

I would also like to say that I am astounded by the devotion to these tractors its absolutely amazing

gwest_ca

The 314-A model name was used in 1985 model year only so it is possible it was made in 1984. What are the numbers on the decal on the rear fender pan?

Bit of info here using the 21-14KE01 model number

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

The oil recommendation for this model changed in 1991 so download this service bulletin

Lub chart

The hydro and the gearbox use different oils.

Garry

MrCTTJ

That is the correct model number  on the VIN plate and I was mistaken on the model year I was using the Kohler serial number.

The service bulletin for the 700 with manual lift using sae 30 is that correct. The Toro dealer was instructing me to use 10w30 motor oil.

They were also trying to sell me an oil filter for the train that doesn't seem to be on the machine

gwest_ca

Sounds like the dealer thought you had the heavier 1100 Eaton transmission.

Garry

MrCTTJ

so can I use the 10w30 for the 700 trans or is the straight 30w  a must have