Sign in to follow this  
KEN3

SHIFT PEDAL DOES NOT RETURN AFTER ENGAGING

KEN3

WHEN I PUSH THE CLUTCH PETAL IN AND SHIFT INTO ANY GEAR, I HAVE TO USE MY TOE TO PULL THE PETAL OUT TO PROCEED IN FORWARD OR REVERSE MOTION. IF I DON'T , IT WILL EVENTUALLY RETURN ON ITS OWN BUT IT TAKES AWHILE. IS THERE AN ADJUSTMENT I DONT KNOW ABOUT OR IS IT IN NEED FOR A NEW CLUTCH? ANY HELP OR IDEAS ARE APPRECIATED. THANKS

gwest_ca

What is the model and serial number of the tractor?

Garry

KEN3

300 SERIES 12 H.P.

MODEL #312-8   SERIAL # 2000080

evanloock

Have you checked to see if your clutch spring is broken? Attaches at the clutch arm and back to the support web on the left side of the tractor.

KEN3

I WILL CHECK IT OUT TOMORROW , THANKS!!

gwest_ca

Your tractor is likely a 1992 model 31-12K804. It uses a gas shock on the belt idler linkage under the drive belt guard. Go to

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

and enter your model number. Open the parts list and then the Clutch, Brake And Speed Control Linkage page. Item 53 is the gas cylinder. This cylinder can be removed and replaced by a return spring on the left side of the transmission  like they used prior to 1989. Use tractor model number 21-12K804 and open the same page. Item 48 is the spring.

Unless the pedal linkage needs to be lubed.

Garry

• Like 1

KEN3

I STRIPPED THE CLUTCH PEDAL  ASSEMBLY DOWN TO THE GAS CYLINDER. THERE WAS THE PROBLEM, IT WAS WORKING BUT STIFF OPERATION. I CLEANED IT THOROUGHLY WITH A DEGREASER AND IT STARTED TO WORK SMOOTHLY AGAIN. I BELIEVE THAT IT JUST NEEDED A GOOD CLEANING.

I HAVE NOT HAD TIME TO PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER YET BUT WILL LET YOU KNOW  IF IT TOOK CARE OF THE PROBLEM. THANKYOU FOR ALL THE INFO!!!!!!!   KEN.  

KEN3

DEGREASING THE GAS SPRING SEEMS TO HAVE WORKED. I ALSO PUT ON A NEW DRIVE BELT AND A NEW SPRING . THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!!