Sign in to follow this  
Terry M

Kids loved the big Green Machines

Terry M

On our way home from Kasson MN. last weekend , the kids had me pull over to see some giant tractors.   Just sad they weren't Wheel Horse.....

post-5864-0-42859400-1371785530_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-95168900-1371785531_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-11500900-1371785533_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-55249400-1371785534_thumb.jp

• Like 3

neil

Great pics , I wonder what those trractors are meant for, they look like they could be sprayers of some sort ?

• Like 1

Terry M

Great pics , I wonder what those trractors are meant for, they look like they could be sprayers of some sort ?

I'm not sure Neil, My kids just love Tractors and we HAD TO STOP......

dclarke

Neil, those are sprayers. Most of them have a 1200 gallon tank and either a 90' or 120' boom on them.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Fun pics Terry.  Was that Wannamingo or Cannon Falls?  You know... my wife makes fun of me on trips because a lot of the time I drive through any equipment dealers we go by so I can see what old trade in stuff might be sitting out back!

• Like 1

Terry M

Fun pics Terry.  Was that Wannamingo or Cannon Falls?  You know... my wife makes fun of me on trips because a lot of the time I drive through any equipment dealers we go by so I can see what old trade in stuff might be sitting out back!

Jason,I think it was wanamingo. It was just north of you jason on hwy 57 not too far from 52.  That happens alot with us when we're off the interstates......SEE Tractors, GOTTA STOP!  and ya, sometimes I have to look around too :) .

rydogg

They are known as rogators and are used to spray the crops after they are planted and emerging, farmers around me also use terra gators before planting since they have very wide tires.

Probably got their name because the skinny tires fit between the rows.

Edited by rydogg
  • Like 1

6wheeler

Terry. Great pics. Those JD sprayers are awesome. They can really haul A$$ when they are spraying a field.Technically Ryan. Those are JD's version of a Rogator. Which is AG-CHEM's registered trademark for their sprayers.  Who also makes Terra Gators down in Jackson, MN. Ag Chem still uses Raven or Dickey John monitors. But the JD's also come with a 60' to 120' boom on them and with the Green Star GPS systems they have. The operator doesn't even have to steer them. Except to turn them on the headlands. Plus they will map a field and you can spray it next year and the machine already knows how to spray it. That same system is available on planting and tillage equipment for the same reason.Sometimes I wonder, how long before it doesn't even need an operator. Jason, I still can't drive past a dealers lot without pulling in to see what they got. No matter the brand. I love the big tractors and the changes to the equipment. I used to build pull type fertilizer and anhydrous equipment for DMI and to see this stuff actually working in the field has always been a thrill to me. I still help my family farm their 900 acres. But, we never had equipment that big. It sure is fun to look at and see it work.    Pat

• Like 1

CasualObserver

I used to build pull type fertilizer and anhydrous equipment for DMI

Really?  I used to live in Goodfield!

6wheeler

Yep. There used to be a dealer up here in Farmington called FEI (Fertilizer Equip. Inc) that sold DMI Anhydrous Ammonia applicators. The framework and all the parts came in dis-assembled on semi loads and we assembled them to be delivered. The biggest one I ever built was 52' wide and had the rows set up on 15" centers. To give you an Idea of how much work that was. There were 42 sets of spring bundles and shank assemblies. And 42 coulter sets on it. Each shank set had a 12' anhydrous hose on it totaling 504' of hose. It was a triple fold unit so it had 10 hydraulic cylinders and 10 tires on it, with tandem sets on the mainframe and tandems on the main wing sets and singles on the secondary wing sets. I don't know how much the unit weighed when assembled but, it took a big truck to pull it and be able to stop it. It had 4 sets of tail light/warning light assemblies and several flow monitors so there was about 30' of elecrical wires and connectors on it. Those big bars looked like giant dump rakes when they were done. We had to unfold them when they were assembled and it had to be done outside because our shop ceilings weren't high enough to do it inside. We also assembled Willmar mfg. self propelled sprayers called SPRA-COUPE sprayers. I came up with a custom flow manifold plus tank frame work for these so the unit could carry up to 4 separate 60 gallon chemical tanks plus a 300 gallon belly mount water tank so the operator could change the type of herbicide required via the computer controlled direct injection system (CCDI). We also built fertilizer tender trucks ranging from 8 ton tenders on single axle trucks up to 24 ton (built on flat bed trailers). We also assembled Willmar fertilizer spreaders. On our family farm, I got to use one of the first 41' Anhydrous Ammonia applicators that I assembled. That was pretty neat. I assembled it one week and used it the next. Awesome.

Ken B

On the way to the BIG SHOW my son spotted some on a farm and he was pretty impressed. They are LARGE.

CasualObserver

Yep. There used to be a dealer up here in Farmington called FEI (Fertilizer Equip. Inc) that sold DMI Anhydrous Ammonia applicators.

Ah... Goodfield is (was) DMI's headquarters.  (DMI was the initials for Dietrich Manufacturing, Inc.) They sold out many years ago to Case/IH, and then it became part of CNH Global.  The Dietrich family is still in the ag fertilizer business though. After selling off the original DMI (bumper, wheel, and implement divisions) they started making some other form of subsoiler under a private company name.