Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Picked up my 603

Kelly

First I have to thank Perry for setting me up with this deal, if not for him this would have been in the scrap pile this fall, So Thank you Perry.

Perry set me a few pic's of some tractors a amish guy up north had, that he wanted to trade something for, mainly a WH hydro trans, in one of the pic's was a half moon steering wheel mounted on what was left of a 603, I said yes, So I contacted the person, and we struck a deal, 2 hydro transmissions for 3 tractors, I really only wanted the 603 but took the others, 1 is a beat B-80 4 speed the other is a even ruffer very cut up, 607, but any way I picked them up, and the 603 is in good shape, missing a few parts but the hard too find parts are there, not that a good hood and semi correct motor will be easy to find, but far easier than a steering wheel, or dash tower with good controls, and the early foot rest.

It's still in the back of the suburban, I will post pic's later.

Kelly

I took a closer look at this after unloading, didn't want to look to hard for the price when I got B) This thing is in good shape, not worn out and not very rusty like most of this age, tires have no weather checking, they are General's garden tractor SS on the rear and Gen. silvertown's on the front Orig.??? seat has 2 small cracks, repairable, steering wheel is very nice, the grip has no nicks or big scratches B) even has the ultra RARE crystal shift knob, that is perfect, no nicks or scratches :whistle: lift cable is not froze up, or the hitch, spindles have been welded on top like alot I've seen, but I have another good front axle, I see no serial tag on it??? only decal on it is for the controls a T and C.

Now a few question's What gass tank did this use?

Will my spare belt guard from my 552 be the right one?

the correct hood did it have the indents for the decals?

are the tire's the orig. type?

the recoil starter was it alum. or tin? I'm thinking alum. but not sure

Hre's the pic's

100_0438.jpg

100_0444.jpg

100_0443.jpg

100_0442.jpg

coolhandblack

Wow good find man! Thanks for the pics

sorekiwi

Cant help with your questions Kelly, but that will be a cool tractor!

DMESS

That crystal shifter knob is WAY COOL! B) Congrats on the 603. Not an easy one to find and it looks like you've got the important stuff. Those Silvertowns on the front were found on a lot of '61-'63 tractors in addition to the more common Generals.

CasualObserver

Kelly... the serial number on the 603 was on the hood decal just under the steering wheel. It was printed right above the shift pattern. There's a picture in this thread from a couple weeks ago. The footrests on yours are 1961 Suburban foot rests. Supposedly the 603s were made from mostly leftover parts, so if yours is an early one, it's possible that it could have those instead of the standard 4421 footrests you see on all the other tractors. As for your other questions, I would only say that I don't think the belt guard will work. The frame for the 603 was unique. Here is the belt guard.

603_041.jpg

I also notice you said you picked up a 607.... that's a nice collectible too, since by 1967, not many people were buying recoil start tractors... I'd imagine not too many of them were made!

CasualObserver

Oh, and I forgot, the gas tank is the regular rounded mid sixties one.

Here's another thread we had a while back on the 603

Andhere's the threadfrom a few months ago when I got mine. It looks like there are not indents for the decal on the sides of the hood.

Kelly

Thanks for the input on this Jason, I guess I will never have the serial no. the hood is long gone, I have a Lawn ranger that may be losing a hood B) I think this tractor trumps a LR, I have a pile of belt guards I'll look to see if any are close. I need to find the parts break down so I can cross part no.'s

Rereading the old post you put up, it was said that early ones may have came with the long foot rest, but with the way WH did things, and didn't keep records we may never know.

I'm happy with it, missing parts and all.

Eriks Red horse herd

Very, Very nice find. Them amish farmers just don't no what they have! unless they have four hoves and can be hooked to a buggy. when i talked to you wednesday you sounded pretty excited. Now I can understand, I too would be over joyed. I'll have to check up in the barn and see if'n the hood i have matches what you need. If i remeber I think it doesn't have the decal indents but not for sure will let you know.............. Erik O'yea congrats on lasoing the eluscive hybrid half moon pony! :horseplay:

perry

your welcome kelly B) .

i dont know what i would have done with it if i had got it :whistle: , but im glad to see it go home with you and not the scrapman B) .

Kelly

Perry he said before snow it was all going to the scrape yard, most of what was there would have been no big deal, but this one would have been a shame.

And Jason if you look in the back ground of the pic's you can see the 607 not much there, 2 foot rest and a 3 speed, and a model tag the rest is scrap, very cut up.

And the foot rest, in the parts brake down call for 4200 RH 4201 LH

the same as a 701,551, but mine are cast iron with a step in them, looking in the pic gallary, 701's are flat cast, so I'm not sure on them.