Sign in to follow this  
dells68

1961 suburban shaft seals

dells68

Ok guys and gals I need help! Mental-yes, tractor definitely! I already have axle seals for his suburban. It is skipping out of 3rd gear. I opened up the trans on his parts tractor and it's perfect. I think I'll put seals in it and use it. The input shaft and brake both have leaking seals. I've searched the forum and am confused what part numbers I need to order. Any help? Oh, it does have ball bearings on the shafts.

-Dell

Terry M

You don't mention anything about fixing that third gear.  I'm not up much on those suburban transmissions ,but you'll probably need to disassemble it to see the problem. Although I could be wrong.  If its anything like the 5053 tranmissions I've worked on, those inner gear teeth are maybe in bad shape and causing it to jump out of 3rd gear. 

Stevasaures is the guy to ask if you want the right answer...

Jake Kuhn

Are you working on a 2 piece or a 3 piece tranny? If its a 3 piece I sell the side seals for it...send me a pm if interested.

stevasaurus

The 3 piece transmission #5010 takes the timken # 471643 for both the input and brake shaft with the ball bearings. I think Jake has these for sale.

The 2 piece (cast) trans # 5007 takes SKF # 9815 for the brake shaft and SKF # 7410 for the input shaft seals

Terry, the issue he has popping out of 3rd gear is the same in all the wheel horse manual transmissions...the inside of the 2nd/3rd fork gear is worn out and/or the top part of the input shaft gear is worn out. :)

• Like 1

dells68

Thanks guys!  I've had a devil of a time getting back to the computer to answer.  I've been busy at my 2nd job - building kids toys from wood and taking my 5 year old to get his shots today -- crappy day to say the least!  I originally posted from my phone and I left out a lot of info.  The original trans on my son's horse is the one popping out of gear.  I opened his parts tractor trans up and was going to pull out the third gear set, but everything looks too darn good to separate it out.  Both transmissions are of the 3 piece variety, so I think I can swap them out no trouble.  So, I'm thinking of putting new seals in the parts tranny, cleaning it out with a little kerosene, and putting her back together.  It seems to stay in 3rd gear when I work everything, but that might be a different story under load.  I had my dad take a look to get his opinion and he thinks I'd be nuts to pull out the gears - that I'd be better off to run the parts tranny.  There appears to be little to no wear on most of the gears from what I can tell.  The oil was a little milky from water seaping in around the shifter, but otherwise seems really nice.  I'm realtively new to working on Wheel Horses, as we've only had his 2 suburbans (3 if you count the parts junker) for almost a year.  I rode one many times since my grandfather owned one of the first rjs sold in this part of VA.  Sadly, he sold his about 2 years before his death without anyone knowing he was going to sell.  The kicker, the guy who "bought" it and a nice 70's 12 horse never finished paying him or my grandmother after his passing.  Talk about feeling ripped!

stevasaurus

I think I would do the same thing...use the parts tranny and keep it together.  If you want to fix the 3rd gear thingy, it is fairly easy to get the parts from a member here, and then you have a good spare. :)   If you buy the gaskets from Jake, I think he is selling the cover gaskets also.  You can't get the cover gaskets from Toro anymore...the other option is to cut your own.

dells68

Thanks again guys!  I've got to throw this out - I teach school for a living and I've got to say Jake is one of very few young people out there that is as composed and with it at his age.  It's really nice to see someone who has their head on right and is heading for a very bright future.  I've already contacted him about the seals and gaskets.  Thanks again for all of the help.  I'm a VW guy as well and this forum is one of the only other places where I've run into such helpful and informed people.  That's a lot to say as I used to have a 52 Ford and didn't find people in the hotrod world nearly as open and helpful as you guys and the VW scene!

Dell

stevasaurus

I have had the pleasure of meeting up with Jake and his dad (Doug) quite a few times now.  They are very special people and a pleasure to be around.  You are right, Jake is ahead of his years...and has a lot going for him.  :)

VW's you say...small world...I had a new 1972 Super Beetle with the formula "V" shifter...pin striped...that great blue and white interior.  Had it for 11 years.  My son has a 1972 fastback with a new engine in it.

dells68

Yep, I got bit by the VW bug about 18 years ago.  I've got a 68 beetle that I've put air ride on, a bone stock 78 bay 7 passenger, and a 74 thing that I basically restored with the exception of putting in military style tail lights and adding a homemade 2" body lift.  Do you by any chance ever go to Circle Yer Wagens in Sevierville, TN?  It's a great show and a great group of people!

Dell

• Like 1