Tom.

1966 856 in the UK!

Tom.

Hi all,

So 5 days ago now me and my dad set off for the 3 hour journey south to pick up the 856 from Ian (Stigian) I had bought off of him - thanks Ian for the refreshments, spare parts and for letting me and my dad have a nosey at your 6x6 project!

I am quite lucky really as I only know of one other 856 in the UK which is owned by neil, so it's quite a rare piece!

I bought it aiming to get it running use it for a bit, and then restore it and get rid of the awful green paint it currently has! However things didn't go as planned - when do they ever! - and it turns out the camshaft is broken so I need a new one of those, which isn't going to be easy to source. After speaking to a few people I may have laid my hands on one but it won't be a deffinate yes for a couple of weeks so in the mean time I have decided to build an e-tank and tear the 856 down completely and start to e-tank them, prime them and then paint. By the time that is all done I would hope to have a camshaft and have fitted it.

Other than that I am really happy with it, it's really original other than the fuel tap I think. The front two wheels are original - one holds air the other doesn't however I am going to put a new tube in it. It has the original cigarette lighter which is quite amazing, and the spring in it still works! It also has a slot hitch on the back which I am still trying to free up, it will come eventually.

Parked up for the night

856.jpg

The next morning pre-wash

8561.jpg

Lifted it up to make life easier for me!

8562.jpg

After a good wash

8563.jpg

Engine after a wash

8564.jpg

The damage inside

856cam.jpg

And as it stands now, and yes that is an old cement mixer tyre! It's just to I can roll it around easier

8565.jpg

Thanks,

Tom

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

nice project, i'll be watching this one. i see the right front tire isn't the only leaky tire you've got :eusa-think:

neil

Im sure you will eventually get the camshaft sorted .

i only know of two of thes 856 in this country  , which is mine & yours. im sure there must be one or two others lurking about somewhere , but there aernt many .

you have picked up a really good tractor and im sure you will not be dissapointed with her when she is done.

have fun with your restoration and we look forward to the progres reports in the comming weeks

meadowfield

Keep the pics coming Tom and good luck

Sparky

Looks like a great start for a restoration .

Good luck!

Mike.........

wheeledhorseman

You had me worried there for a moment Tom, you mention building an e-tank then this pic

8562.jpg

Must be a big e-tank! Only kidding but that's a great project to take and one for all of us to follow so enjoy every minute of it and post regular updates with lots of pics.

Andy

• Like 1

Stigian

Morning Tom, your not wasting any time getting started on the 845 are you  :) 

Good to see that you have another camshaft sorted.

I hope those spares come in useful for you.

Yep an E-tank is the way to go to get the panels etc cleaned up, saves an awful lot of rubbing down and dust everywhere..

I will be watching your progress with interest, it will be nice to see the ol girl back to her former glory :handgestures-thumbup:

Tom.

nice project, i'll be watching this one. i see the right front tire isn't the only leaky tire you've got :eusa-think:

hi,

thanks, I'm really looking forward to it! well spotted with the tyre, luckily that was easily fixed with some tyre sealent.

Tom

Im sure you will eventually get the camshaft sorted .

i only know of two of thes 856 in this country  , which is mine & yours. im sure there must be one or two others lurking about somewhere , but there aernt many .

you have picked up a really good tractor and im sure you will not be dissapointed with her when she is done.

have fun with your restoration and we look forward to the progres reports in the comming weeks

hi Neil,

thank you, I also only know of two which are mine and yours but as you say there are probably a few hidden around. so I'm sure ill have some questions for you when I get a bit more into it!

Tom

Keep the pics coming Tom and good luck

hi,

thanks Meadowfield! I may need some decals for it when I have finished it!!!

Tom

Looks like a great start for a restoration .

Good luck!

Mike.........

hi mike,

Thanks for the reply, it is a solid base so I'm really happy with it as there no major rot.

Tom

You had me worried there for a moment Tom, you mention building an e-tank then this pic

8562.jpg

Must be a big e-tank! Only kidding but that's a great project to take and one for all of us to follow so enjoy every minute of it and post regular updates with lots of pics.

Andy

Hi Andy,

haha, it would deffinetly have to be one big e-tank, unfortunately mine isnt big enough! I am taking as many pictures as I can so I can post them up here but also to help me remember where certain parts go. I will be adding an update tonight as I've made a little more progress.

Tom

Morning Tom, your not wasting any time getting started on the 845 are you  :) 

Good to see that you have another camshaft sorted.

I hope those spares come in useful for you.

Yep an E-tank is the way to go to get the panels etc cleaned up, saves an awful lot of rubbing down and dust everywhere..

I will be watching your progress with interest, it will be nice to see the ol girl back to her former glory :handgestures-thumbup:

Hi Ian,

Yes, it's good news about the camshaft, I'm hoping its sorted. I'm really glad I had a nosey at your e-tank as it deffinetly made me want to get one as its so cheap but cheerful! I'm hoping to get it setup this weekend. I was also considering getting a cheap sand blasting gun just to run over the parts when they come out and then coat in red oxide then the final paint.

Oh, and great news on your GT14, I'm glad you got it going!

Thanks again,

Tom

Tom.

So I've made a little progress, just got a few more bits and bobs off

856r2.jpg

856r1.jpg

The reason it's tipped up as pictured is because I have a bowl of diesel which I am soaking the slot hitch in which I hope will help in aid of freeing it up and its really solid! It's coming on slowly, I have all the bits for an e-tank except the power pack now so I am going to order one and get e-tanking.

I hope in my next update there will be a lot more to see!

Thanks,

Tom

neil

good luck with the progress Tom

Stigian

Your soon have it finished at the rate your going Tom  :D

Griff

I do like seeing what folks have to contend with when restoring like this, getting the mechanicals sorted and getting it painted up. I'm looking forward to seeing more, best of luck mate.

Tom.

good luck with the progress Tom

Hi,

Thanks Neil, it's getting there slowly!

Tom

Your soon have it finished at the rate your going Tom  :D

Hi,

I wish Ian!! Still a long way off but steady progress is being made which I'm happy with.

Tom

I do like seeing what folks have to contend with when restoring like this, getting the mechanicals sorted and getting it painted up. I'm looking forward to seeing more, best of luck mate.

Hi Griff,

I deffinetly agree with you, I have looked through numerous threads and you learn alot, which is handy because you can the apply it to when you do your own restoration! I see you're in Lincoln, thats not too far from me, do you have any wheel horses at the minute?

Tom

Tom.

Hi,

I have made a little more progress tonight:

wh8565.jpg

Parts pile keeps growing

wh8564.jpg

Nice set of rears, hold air, I think the tyres are originial as they have wheel horse written on them??

wh8562.jpg

I took the whole dash and console off, I am going to split this apart more before I e-tank it

wh8561.jpg

wh8563.jpg

The rear end

wh856.jpg

It's coming apart well so far, no major rust or rot; I've even found some original paint under there!! The only thing that isn't going so well is the slot hitch, it's real stuck. I have tried soaking it in diesel, heating it and spraying loads of penetrating oil and WD40 on it but still no movement. Does anyone have any suggestions? I had thought of maybe drilling the pin out?

Thanks,

Tom

Anglo Traction

The only thing that isn't going so well is the slot hitch, it's real stuck. I have tried soaking it in diesel, heating it and spraying loads of penetrating oil and WD40 on it but still no movement. Does anyone have any suggestions? I had thought of maybe drilling the pin out? Thanks, Tom

Those Pins are a pain if their seized up. You really need to soak them for a long long time to have any affect.

There have been many threads on this, Here's an example -

Plenty more if you do a search in the Transmission Section for :- Hitch Pin. May find a way that suits your situation. Take your time on it, those Tranny casings are brittle Cast Iron

Rgds

wheeledhorseman

Everything tends to be stacked against you with these.

If the rusting is that bad then crystals of rust will have formed between the two surfaces effectively blocking the passage of penetrating fluids.

Striking the end, even with a heavy copper mallet, will tend to start the mushrooming of the end of the shaft, particularly if it has a groove for a c-clip in it.

The other problem is that striking the end makes the pin swell very slightly by a thou or so at the moment of impact effectively making it an even tighter fit.

Having said that I did recently get a well stuck pin out of the tranny on my 316.

The copper mallet was getting nowhere even after much soaking so I had to resort to using a heavy hammer striking the end as cleanly as possible. First I marked the ends of the pin against the tranny case with a hacksaw blade - not a cut just a mark I could see.

Found  a wack from the hammer actually moved the pin very slightly. Wacked the other end and moved it back again. We're talking half a mm or less perhaps. Repeated again. Knowing that there had been some movement left to soak overnight.

Next day used the copper mallet and the movement too and fro steadilly grew. Left to soak again and repeated gradually the movement increased. Knowing that the end would have mushroomed a bit I then filed it back, a PIA job.

Finally used the largest dia drift available in the workshop that I had to drive the pin back and forward gradually further each way till it was out.

It's a long slow process so I understand why many simply cut it off flush with the casing before drifting it out. If you do resort to this then read the following thread - genius use of a scientific principle.

Good luck and BTW that hitch is worth a few bob so don't damage it.

Andy

Edited by wheeledhorseman

Stigian

Good to see work progressing on the ol girl Tom.. Every time I look at your photo's I'm amazed at how much red paint there is left on her...

Good luck with the hitch pin, over the years I've had equal mixed luck getting them out.. Some have come out easy, some have put up a bit of a fight. and a couple I've had to drill out in the end..

I'm sure it will come out sooner or later for you.

Stormin

a couple I've had to drill out in the end..

That's how I got the one on my C-125 out.

Tom.

Hi all,

I'm sorry for the recent lack of updates, I've been real busy with other projects!

At the minute the 856 is ready to go in the e-tank, I transported it down to my shed where the e-tanking will take place(the e-tank will be just outside of that shed) and its now a matter of putting the e-tank together as I have everything for it.

The pin is still stuck but there is movement, very small movement something like half a mm but its something. I will continue to soak and move it back and forth, I'm hoping that will work. If not I was wondering if somehow I could put the hitch and pin in the e-tank, just that pin and hitch and suspend the transmission out of water and try that. Would it be any help? The only thing I'm worried about is the transmission gasket, would it hurt this at all? Last resort would be drilling though, I had a little go at it with a drill but it didn't even touch it. I mean the drill bit wasn't going anywhere, if I did decide to drill it I think I'd have to get some really good drill bits.

So that's where I'm up to now, hopefully ill start e-tanking this week and then a layer of red oxide. I have a few pictures of the pile of parts I will add later.

All for now,

Tom

Stigian

Tom. The trick to drilling hitch pins out is to start with a small drill bit and work your way up in size... No need to rush it, do a bit and walk away for a while.. It saves frustration and aching arms..

Once you have drilled through the pin, you can get a hack-saw inside to cut through the rest.. Once you have cut through the tension should be released and what's left of the pin should tap out..

Just take care not to damage the trans or hitch.

Here's a pin that I drilled and cut to get out of the trans.

P5090140.jpg

Griff

Sorry for the late reply Tom, i'd lost track of the posts i've replied to. I've got two 512D's and am watching threads like yours for inspiration, so don't muck it up :laughing-rolling:

Tom.

Hi all,

I have been slacking with this project really badly!! I have still got the 856 and it's still in pieces but I am determind to get on with it within the next week as I'm just finishing off another project, I seem to have too many projects going on at once! Anyway I have hopefully got my hands on a sandblaster so will be sandblasting the rest of the 856 instead of e-tanking, mainly because I'm impatient and I want to get it done! As mentioned earlier the original k181 has got a broken camshaft however I have acquired a donor engine that I will be using. It does run, not very well mind you and smokes badly so I've got new valves and all the bits for them and will be ordering piston rings as well. I will also thoroughly go through the carb and get it nice and clean, the throttle shaft is real good which is a bonus too.

I will try to keep you all updated as I go but for now the only picture I really have is of the donor engine!

k181.jpg

Hope you all have a merry christmas!!

Tom

Sparky

Good to hear your back on on it!

Mike..........

Wishin4a416

Thats the beauty of redoing these. You can take as long as you want. They dont eat much just sittin there.

meadowfield

Hey tom,

Glad to see you are back

Merry xmas