Sign in to follow this  
SMITTY

Trans Axle Seals

SMITTY

Cleaned and flushed Transmission on my Lawn Ranger found one outside axle seal is leaking. Ordered new seals now have to find a good way to remove without taking trans apart. Not much metal to grab on to. Any ideas?

SMITTY

That was my idea but didn't think I could get it in between the shaft and seal. will pick one up tomorrow.

SMITTY

just looked at reviews on HB tool will look elsewhere

Jeff-C175

You should be able to get a screwdriver in there... the metal is soft... start with a smaller screwdriver, bend the metal lip up to where you can get a bigger one in and work your way around prying with the screwdriver.  It will pop right out.

Clean the hub and axle up so that the hub slides easily and use that as a 'slide hammer' to drive the new seal home.  Don't wail on it, just nice easy taps and the new one will go right in.

rmaynard

I use a 1/8" screwdriver with a hook bent into the tip. With the hook pointed toward the seal and away from the axle, I slip it in-between the axle and the seal. The hook will catch on the metal or plastic housing of the seal and then I yank it right out. That is easy to do with the 1" or 1-1/8" seals. The smaller ones like the 5/8" and 3/4" I use the same type of screwdriver, but without the bent tip. As mentioned by Jeff above, those I just pry out.

doc724

The newer seals (at least from Toro) are plastic with the rubber molded onto it.  I simply push them onto the shafts (after putting scotch tape over the keyway of course.  I Iearned that here on RS).  Then I take a paint stirrer that I have ripped to about 3/8 inch wide (and sanded the end to make sure no sharp edges) and with a rubber hammer, gently tap it home.  You will be surprised at the skill you will have in setting the seals.  This may not work with seals that are metal, but it works fine for the plastic ones.

SMITTY

Thanks for all the suggestions. Bought a puller from NAPA to big a small Craftsman screwdriver and hammer couple taps came right out, new ones driven in with a piece of 1 inch PVC. Primed ready for some Red paint.