Sign in to follow this  
SPINJIM

Hi-Lo shift quirk on 310-8

SPINJIM

I recently picked up a 1986 310-8 that had not been driven for year or two.   The 4-speed shifter works fine, but the Hi-Lo will only shift into gear if I let the clutch out a little bit to get the gears moving.   I took the cover panel off to make sure the shift lever wasn't hitting anything, and it's ok.  The roll pin seems to be intact.  The trans fluid is fairly clean, and proper level.   As soon as I let the clutch out, even half way, the Hi-Lo will go right into gear.   Happens both directions.   The same thing has happened once or twice on my C-85, but it happens all the time on this 310.   Can anyone save me the trouble of taking apart the trans to figure out what's going on???   Any advice appreciated.

Jim

SousaKerry

Sounds normal to me, but then again I may have the same problem. 

stevasaurus

Sounds like nothing is really wrong in there.  If it has been setting for a couple of years, I think I would put it on blocks so the horse is level, drain the trans, put in about 1/2 gallon diesel and run it in all the gears for about a total of 45 minutes.  Drain and see what comes out...do again if  it looks like it needs it.  Guaranteed you will clean it out and free things up.  Tilt the horse so you get all the fuel out, (it gets hung up in the axle housings)...fill with 90wt to the correct level and run all summer.  Change the oil again in the fall.  If you do not have any internal problems, this should take care of it. :)

SPINJIM

Thanks for the replies.  Guess I just won't worry about it.  I leave it in high anyway, unless I'm pulling something heavy.  It's just that my other 8-speeds go into gear more easily.   

See you all at the big show.

Jim