Sign in to follow this  
jerrell

Is this enought HP

jerrell

:whistle: i have a GT-1800 without an engine and the other day i was in Harbor Freight and they had a electric start 13 HP, with cast iron cylinder with ball bearing support for shaft, 17ft lbs of torque, @2500 rpm and low oil shut off. has a 1" shaft . for 294,00,,,( yup made in china) B) i know it is blue but it has a pretty grey hound dog on it ....and i know the chances you take with any engine from china, i have been looking for a new motor on ebay and thru the wh ads, but haven't found what i looking for. ; i do not know much about the gt 1800, one of the guys here help me id it, bought it w/o an engine, it has an eaton 1100 auto it it... is this enought horse power, i think i can i can mount it OK i want to use it to pull a 6' plow and maybe push some dirt around, and if anyone has an old set of fenders, seat please let me know.. i may get her running this summer..thanks guys in advance.. ( has anyone ever used the tiny tac ? i use it to tune up all my motors and it does great, awesome for tuneing carbs) jerry B)

dieselhorse

That would be enough power to do what you want and more. You could also go the diesel route if you wanted to. Check out Carrol Stream Motors and look at the 10hp air cooled diesel. They are a clone of the Yanmar LA series, extremly fuel effectient, pull and electric start. The do offer shipping as well. I have used the 4.5hp engine in two differnt tractors with excellent results. The 10hp diesel is equil to a 12-14hp gas engine and the 6 hp diesel is equil to a 10hp gas engine. The torque of the diesel is much better at lower rpms as well. These diesels turn the same rpms as the gas models so you dont loose any rpms for mowing or snowblower work. Cheers Mike

Teddy da Bear

Personally Jerry....I avoid anything that comes from China. It's all crap. They could not even make a toothpick the right way. And $300 is a lot to take a chance on. I would rather spend $150 for a good used Kohler.

And it doesn't sound like your exploring the auction possabilities. I have seen dozens of motors at auctions already this year. Most go for around $5!!!

And you can rebuild kohlers easier than most. Just look for a tool auction or a farm auction.....there likely will be a motor or 7......lol

Rollerman

I think you will be alright.

The 312H had the Eaton 1100 hydro & a 12HP Kohler.

Not sure about a six foot plow though...... :whistle:...because that would be tuff for the biggest of the "Horses"

I'm going to guess you mean a 6" garden type plow?

Make sure you post some pics of your progress. B)

jerrell

here is a pci. jerry

DSCN0002.jpg

Teddy da Bear

Neat looking little tractor.

Wow....that is a project that needs some parts.

A nice black kohler magnum would look great in there.

Check out Northern prices....

hodge

RPM's wise, how does a diesel work with a hydro unit, since it (the hydro) needs to run at full rpms? It would seem to me that a hydro tractor wouldn't benefit from the lower rpm's of the diesel engine.

Jim_M

RPM's wise, how does a diesel work with a hydro unit, since it (the hydro) needs to run at full rpms? It would seem to me that a hydro tractor wouldn't benefit from the lower rpm's of the diesel engine.

The single cylinder diesels run at 3600 rpms.

Docwheelhorse

I think you would be fine with the Chinese motor.... you could look around smallenginewarehouse.com too.... they have 11+ hp engines that start at $390---Briggs and Stratton and they even have a linamar (Kubota)---> Linamar by Kubota

ZX340-EQ-4-SO-W 11hp Horizontal 1" Keyed Shaft, Electric Start Only, OHV, CIS, LOS 47 $399.95

That way you could have a quality name brand engine that would be something somebody would payt for if you went to sell the tractor, nobody will pay for a Chinese engine. If you have no plans for selling the tractor then the Chnese motor would wourk for what you want to do.

Good Luck

Tony

dieselhorse

Some people need to get over the made in china issue. Its a global economy and its going to be that way for the rest of our lives, whether we like it or not. I have had several of these engines, and they are no better or no worse than the new Briggs, Kohler or any other current made small engine. And I have worked in a Kubota dealership for several months. Unfortunatly the day of the indestructable K series Kohlers is over. Even Kohler is discontuining parts for them. We are now dependant on Stens and NOS parts more than ever. Dont get my wrong, I love K series, old B&S engines that were all or mostly cast iron. The new slanted bore Kohlers are made over seas now. I say dare to be different, you cannot hardly rebuild a K series for what you can buy these for. In today society, a throw away society with high labor rates. Its simpler to just replace a blown or worn out engine than rebuild it. We can still rebuild on our own, but we would probably never pay someone to do the work. It would be cost more than its worth. The Chinese crank these things out in mass quantity, coupled with the fact that even our doller, at a low point right now, is worth more than thiers, makes these engines very affordable. I dont see any of you complaining about that flat screen TV in the living room, or the amount of Asian componets in your computer. But at one time, even Japanese TV's or anything electronic from Asia was frowned on. I guess its now small engine time. Unfortunatly we dont produce most things anymore, do I wish we did? Of Coarse I do! If someone here in the states wants to produce a small 4-10hp air cooled diesel and sell it for less than $800-$1000 bucks, go for it! It would sell like hotcakes. Go price a true Yanmar LA series that these are based on. They are $2000 and up brand new. The only way there society will get better is by learning, building more, finding better ways, the same way this country did. Maybe in time there goverment will figure its way to being less controling, but no politics here. If it runs and lasts a few years, go for it!

traktorkidd7/30/93

is that your C-175 in the backround? :whistle:

B) (well i want pictures) B)

Docwheelhorse

Why buy a Kobota or Honda or Briggs engine when you can get theses Chinese motors---I'll tell yah why. The closest Chinese engine PARTS dealer is in CHINA..... If you can spend another $75 and know you can get an ignition coil or ???? locally from a dealer it would be worth its weight in gold. Re-Sale is also a big deal with these motors---I know I would pay more for an identical tractor if it had a name brand motor versus the Chinese one. B)

Tony

jerrell

:whistle: Hey chris, yeah that's a c175, got a 6" plow, 36" tiller, 48" mower, weights, homemade springtooth harrow, and a snow plow that i use to push dirt around, we don't have much snow in arkansas, i really like the tractor, it has a lot of power,,, i will post a pic soon, need to clean it up some, i used to wash it down after i used it BUT that horse dosn't like water, i have sprayed the electrical parts with a water repelant but it still dosn't start right up after a wash, B) so i use a air gun now,

B):banghead:B) i think i will take some advise from you guys and replace the engine in the work horse with a B&S 18hp, i just saw one on ebay , new for around 1100. i sorta like the one that uses propane, i grew up on a rice farm where all of our equipment was propane powered and you couldn't ask for a better. cleaner burning gas, we always burned the plugs up before having toreplace them for carbon. the only problem is the tank placement, i have several 25lbs botles but they are bulkey,but i can refil them out of my 250 gal tank, so don't have to run to town for gas,,, also instead of going orginal work horse, i am planning to get some fenders and things off other makes and make me a good strong workable tractor. if i can do it right, that thing will outlast me and maybe my son.....thanks guys all of you have given me food for thought and i appriciate it.. B) . jerry

Teddy da Bear
Why buy a Kobota or Honda or Briggs engine when you can get theses Chinese motors---I'll tell yah why. The closest Chinese engine PARTS dealer is in CHINA.....
Amen Doc!.....Global economy has nothing to do with it. China makes crap! I don't want to see him waste his money on something that will barely last one or two seasons.

dieselhorse

Unfortuntaly our politicians sold out this country along time ago. I go thru a reputable importer for my diesels and he stocks all the common parts. The engines are such good clones of the Yanmars, that the parts actualy interchange between the two. To each his own, thats what makes this hobby fun.

Curmudgeon

Maybe China makes crap, but corporate america pays crap.

If I work hard, and save up, in time, I can buy that Chinese engine. I'll NEVER be able to afford something made here.

Now who is the bad guy? Me for at least trying to have a running tractor? Or corporate america for not only sending all the jobs overseas, but also reducing wages to the point we can't afford anything but stuff made overseas?

Henry Ford said it a hundred years ago, paraphrasing, "A Ford employee has to earn enough to be able to buy a Ford." That's the bottom line now, american workers can't afford american products. Don't blame the guy buying the only thing he can afford to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teddy da Bear

Parts of your statement are true Dale.

But bottom line is....if you don't buy.....there will be no market for it.

Corporate America takes it like....if your buying my overseas crap....your accepting it. And corporate America will send even more jobs overseas to build more crap...and so on and so on and so on....

Too many today cannot see past the immediate future.......they want what they want now and don't care about the future consequences.

China knows america is full of people losing jobs.....and they are taking advantage of it by flooding the market with their junk. And our government is in bed with them. And we are just sheep going along with the whole mess.

Baaaaaahaaaa!!!

bambooheels

B) :whistle:B) mike, i said this in much plainer language in another post for engines and they shut me down, i agree with you too 100%, if we keep buying that crap its all going to go there.

and may i ask why is more and more people willing to buy 3 or 4 cheap knockoffs as oppossed to 1 good item for alittle mor emoney. those chinese engines are not by the way interchangelble with honda. . B)B):banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::) :o

nylyon

Ok folks, point has been made and this has strayed far enough.

Let's keep from straying in the future, and keep the made in China discussion off of RedSquare.