Sign in to follow this  
meadowfield

brake drum

meadowfield

For my build project I've a few ideas kicking around and I'm looking at using the brake drum shaft/output as a means of drive.

On the 8 speed trannys and autos this output shaft is flat on both sides, on earlier trannys I've seen it's a 5/8" ? shaft with keyway. The keyway makes it easier for me to take drive - otherwise I'm turning a brake drum into a boss....

Can anyone tell me whether the keyed shaft is exclusive to the older 3 speed transmissions? or does it appear on some newer 8 speeds?

cheers

gwest_ca

Just posted this in another forum so copied it to here. Different part but method is the same.

There is a way to determine what other models of deck used a part here
http://www.milacalawn.com/pages/OemParts
Select Toro consumer
Enter a part number and search
A list will come up showing the parts lists that contain that part number. Click on each line with that part number in it and the models will come up.
Check each one to make sure it does apply to your model because the parts lists are shared by similar models. In other words there may be more than one shaft in the ipl and let's hope they show what model used what. They don't always.

Garry

meadowfield

Garry,

I asked the question with the understanding that the brake drum output is different on the later transmissions (103916), earlier ones were on the final drive pinion I believe and the shaft was a larger diameter with the keyway cut.

Pretty certain on that basis that there is no chance of interchangeability, but thought I'd ask anyway. 

thanks

mark

Anglo Traction

Hi Mark,

Pretty certain on that basis that there is no chance of interchangeability, but thought I'd ask anyway. thanks   mark

Hi Mark, Yep !, won't swap over. The old Brake Shafts (pinion) were 1" dia Keyed and retained with a clip. They exited the Tranny Case close to the left hand Drive shaft. Models 5053 - 5060 had them.

I think I'm right in saying that all the 6 & 8 speed Trannys from the 5073 in 1970 onwards were Braked on the shaft that carried the Cluster Gear and had 2 flats. 

Regards

meadowfield

Richard,

That's exactly as I thought, was nice just to confirm.... I want to use a tranny with 1 1/8 axles and 8 pinion diff, so looks like I'll be turning a brake drum down into a boss...