Sign in to follow this  
Parrothead Al

520H identification

Parrothead Al

Hello everyone, I have been messing with a 520 H that I pulled from the jaws of death at the scrap yard. I'm just trying to find out as much as I can about it, like just what it is and what do I want to do with it. The Trans has a number 111201 it has the forward sweeping front axle and the 20hp  Onan engine. The stearing is gear reduction. The previous Owner painted everything black so I have no model. Any help is a big help.

JackC

If there still is a spec number and serial number on the engine that will help.

Parrothead Al

OK, I'll see what I can find, But I'm not kidding about the paint, If it wasn't covered in grease, it was painted black.

Parrothead Al

OK, I'll see what I can find, But I'm not kidding about the paint, If it wasn't covered in grease, it was painted black.

Bad news, all motor identification is covered with black paint. Any other ideas I could try?

JackC

Early 520s (1993 and earlier?) had the non emission carburetor and the later ones had the emission carburetor with the accelerator pump on the side of the carburetor.  The belt guard on the later 520s (1995?) had a bolt through it to attache the PTO guard.

Rock farmer

Gear reduction steering and forward swept axel make it newer than 1990. Which mine is. However, lack of chrome goodies make it a 520 HC. What's the instrument panel look like?

Joe

Parrothead Al

Gear reduction steering and forward swept axel make it newer than 1990. Which mine is. However, lack of chrome goodies make it a 520 HC. What's the instrument panel look like?

Joe

I'll get a picture of it tomorrow, I do know it is also covered in black paint. What does the C stand for? 

Rock farmer

The c stands for commercial. Stripped all the chome off it. Geared it to run faster. Bigger tires. For landscapers. Less gages on the instrument panel too.

Joe

Forest Road

Is the transmission control lever mounted on the steering column? Or is it a long lever that comes up between your legs?

546cowboy

If you look at the picture it is by the steering wheel so it is a 1990 or later. I thought the HC's were 1988 or 1989 only.

Parrothead Al

Is the transmission control lever mounted on the steering column? Or is it a long lever that comes up between your legs?

If you look at the picture it is by the steering wheel so it is a 1990 or later. I thought the HC's were 1988 or 1989 only.

Sorry fellow's for not getting back very quick. Yes the trans lever is on the column. It has a chrome dip stick tube and breather and the dash has all the diagnostic lights. It is missing a chrome deflector on the muffler so at this point it doesn't look to be HC. I will start tearing it down before long and will jot down any numbers I come across. Thank you for all the help.