Sign in to follow this  
Fordiesel69

Will a cast iron flywheel explode?

Fordiesel69

On certain kohlers I have seen small cracks between the crankshaft hole and one of the tapped pulley holes.  I am not sure why. 

So if you run the engine and it does break, willl the sheild or guard keep it intact enough you won;t be a dead man?  I ask because my dad knew someone who became disfigured when a snowmobile clutch exploded and went right thru the guards.

Jim_M

I'm not sayining if it will or will not explode, but I wouldn't trust it. The engine tins will definitely not stop the chunks of cast iron if it does explode.

Edited by Jim_M
  • Like 1

MarkPalmer

My thinking on this is that good used flywheels are cheap and easy enough to find used that I wouldn't take chances of myself or anyone else around me getting hurt by one if it failed.  If it's cracked, I would track down a replacement. 

-Mark-

MalMac

Yes they can. Several years ago I was attending a garden tractor pull. One of pullers had his Kohler just a screaming making a good pull. A line judge was walking along side when the flywheel explodes. The line judge lost part of his hand and a spectator was injured and taken to a hospital where they later died from pieces of flywheel imbedded in their chest. I am sure it was do to extream RPM. None the less that thing was nothing more than a bomb that did a lot of damage. To this day when ever I get a used motor I pull the flywheel and check them. I don't trust them for one second after witnessing that accident.