ben06351

cutting too low.

ben06351

So how do I get the 48 inch deck on an 1989 520HC to cut higher than 3 inches? do I have to get new wheels for it or what?

WH nut

If you have it adjusted all the way up then the answer would be yes

ben06351

Really that seems short...

JackC

Have you tried cutting with the deck up?  The bumpers on the deck should hit the bottom of the foot rests in the full up position.

If they don't, then the lift chain bolt can be adjusted so the deck comes up higher.

When the grass is really tall I first cut with the deck up and then go back and cut with the deck down but with the back wheels adjustment lever on one of the high notches.  I also now use a cardboard baffle to keep the clippings that fly out from the front of the deck from getting sucked up into the cooling air intake of the ONAN.

• Like 1

ben06351

Thanks Jack tried that but then the belt lust slips. I'll check the chain tomorrow.

WH nut

If you are looking for a smooth finish cut higher than the adjustment allows then taller wheels is the only answer

skrusins

RS member talked about this before "to add three shims under the plate, bolted to the deck,
with the height adjusting holes in it. He said us the square fender washers,
like they use to aline car fenders. Add one on the lower bolt and two under the top bolt,
and this would tip the adjustment block back just enough to give me, about,
another half inch of grass height". I tried this and it worked for me.

• Like 1

ben06351

Thanks I'll give em all a try.

JackC

If the belt slips then it needs to be adjusted tighter.

Fordiesel69

Does someone have a part# to aftermarket deck wheels that are larger?

bo dawg

I dont think you need wheels bigger than the stock 6" that WH put on their decks. I would think bigger wheels would tilt the deck more than its designed for. May need to look at all other options, example like how thick of washer you have between the spindle housing and blade? Which would lower blade closer to ground. But if the anti scalp rollers in front are flat and worn then I would get new ones. Make sure the rear deck wheels are not worn thin. But if you want larger than stock deck wheels maybe try the push mower type. Lots of different sizes there! :dunno:

6wheeler

Sorry to sort of hi-jack your thread but. I have the same issue on mine. Are the anti scalp wheels not supposed to be flat? Model# 73860 deck. I can't get more than 3" either. If I lift the deck, the tractor steers alot harder. And, It scalps something fierce too. I put a set of Oregon blades on it (I couldn't get any Toro's last Sat.). They work great. I too was thinking of larger wheels. Also, Anyone know what the deck drive belt size is? Mine went the same route as the old blades. It shredded so I can't measure it or get a number off of it.

gwest_ca

Sorry to sort of hi-jack your thread but. I have the same issue on mine. Are the anti scalp wheels not supposed to be flat? Model# 73860 deck. I can't get more than 3" either. If I lift the deck, the tractor steers alot harder. And, It scalps something fierce too. I put a set of Oregon blades on it (I couldn't get any Toro's last Sat.). They work great. I too was thinking of larger wheels. Also, Anyone know what the deck drive belt size is? Mine went the same route as the old blades. It shredded so I can't measure it or get a number off of it.

Mower deck 78360? 48" side discharge

Toro drive belt 102742 nla Use 94-2501 {HA/Ax103"}

Toro spindle belt 1594 {HAx107.21"}

Garry

cdsl810

When I bought my 520-h, the previous owner had put slightly larger wheels on the deck. It did raise the cut to about 3 1/2" and did not tilt the deck. The problem with larger wheels is that you can't get too much larger than stock on the discharge side because there's not enough clearance. I don't think a 7" wheel will fit without rubbing.

Hydro

I'm having a trouble getting more than 2 3/4" when measured in the garage on cement.  I have the torsion bar cranked pretty tight and new original deck wheels installed.  I have 3" at the back end of the deck but can't seem to lift the front of the deck any higher.

persof

Do you have a picture of this?

"RS member talked about this before "to add three shims under the plate, bolted to the deck,
like they use to aline car fenders. Add one on the lower bolt and two under the top bolt,
another half inch of grass height". I tried this and it worked for me."

Thanks

Francis

~

JC 1965

Do you have a picture of this?

"RS member talked about this before "to add three shims under the plate, bolted to the deck,

another half inch of grass height". I tried this and it worked for me."

Thanks

Francis

~

Where can you get these square fender washers ? And are they all the same thickness ?   :dunno:

RMCIII

So this is an interesting topic. My deck adjusts to 4". Are you saying you have it adjusted to the last adjustment and it still is not cutting 3"? Or, the deck only will adjust to 3", with the max setting, and it is not cutting at 3"? Either way it sounds like you may need new deck wheels.

skrusins

You can buy the square fender washers from a body shop. A shop near me gave me 3 for free.

I use the thickest he had all 3 the same size.

JC 1965

You can buy the square fender washers from a body shop. A shop near me gave me 3 for free.

I use the thickest he had all 3 the same size.

Thank you very much.   :thumbs2:

Hydro

I'm not sure that I understand how these washers are supposed to work?  If anyone has any pics I would appreciate it.

skrusins

If you add one on the lower bolt and two under the top bolt,
another half inch of grass height. Saying that it's like raising the axle on the

gage wheels.

skrusins

Sorry I should have said it's like lowering the axle on the gage wheels to make it a half in higher.

Hydro

I still don't get...sorry.  I have the adjustment lever at it highest position.  There are two bolts holding that bracket which can move sideways a small amount.  Where do these washers go?

skrusins

Sorry Gary, I don't have a camera, hopefully I can step you thru.

On my 48in deck my height adjustment lever is on the left side

as you are  sitting on the tractor.

The adjustment lever is held down buy two carriage bolts. The

reason you have to use fender washers is because the carriage

bolt is square between the thread and head.

After you loosen the two bolts you slide 2 fender washer between

the deck and height adjustment plate on top bolt and 1 under the

bottom bolt.  Hope this helps.