Sign in to follow this  
wp205a

MTD Bolens 13.5 HP Briggs 38 in deck

wp205a

post-8412-0-08564200-1369935788.jpgHad to baby sit my older brother yesterday after an out patient procedure and decided to try & get his mower going. Checked the oil,zero. Put the charger on the battery, drained carb, tank was empty, luckily. Added oil, heard a weird noise, discoved the drain tube was broken off, noticed other older oil on patio. Went to get a 3/8 pipe plug, told the man why I needed it. He informed me that it would be messy each time the oil was changed. I said since the owner didn't know whether it had oil or not, he'd probably never change it. A new drain tube would have busted too, clearance is fine as long as it's not in a turn. I think I have discovered a bad design on that particular mower. It ran fine, so I guess it broke right before he parked it. Mower does good while mowing, vibration is awful when not. Now I'm wondering if three motor mount bolts are broken and if the engine's shifted around. :eusa-think:  That's that, now I'm awaiting June so I can get a nice book. Have a nice day.

Edited by wp205a

wp205a

I nominate this as the most uninteresting topic on this forum, and probably concerning the worst mower ever mentioned here. Double checked engine bolts, all are in place & tight. An old buddy told me to avoid 1/2 horse designated Briggs engines, Kudos to him. Have fun at the show.

Edited by wp205a

Foozerush

I inherited one similar to that one, with a 14hp, I had to install 3 motor bolts when I first got my hands on it, only one bolt holding it on the thin frame, wonder how long it was ran like that.... And the steering mech is a weak link also, mine can't make a right hand turn, and I had to peen the ball into the socket on the arm that attaches to the fan gear, tight working space. Bottom seal on the crank leaks also, I'm not cruel, I do keep oil in it so it doesn't blow. It always starts, it cuts ok, the shift on the fly comes in handy. It will be replaced soon.....