Sign in to follow this  
theront

wheel horse 417a identification

theront

New here trying to help a family friend out.  Long story short, neighbors recently deceased husband has multiple wheel horse and attachements, his 417a is in need of repair. The numbers on the tractor are not legible but the motor is a  Kohler KT17QS Spec 24350 SN 14235439.  I haven't disassembled motor yet but it appears that it has broken a rod.  The front cylinder has no compression, nor does the piston move up and down in its bore.  I am not new to motor rebuilding, just not this series.  I need help identifying year of tractor and will be looking for parts to reassemble a short block, or even a repower might be in order. I am trying to help out a family friend who is trying to keep her recently deceased husbands equipment running and mowing.  She has recently hired out the yard work until we can get this going, it was his baby.

Any help here much appreciated.

Thanks

Theront

gwest_ca

The 417-A was sold 1985 model 31-17KE01 and 1986 model 31-17KE02

The 142 in the Kohler serial number 14235439 tells us they built the engine in 1984.

It's a safe bet the tractor is a 1985 model 31-17KE01. Wheel Horse used the 24350 spec number in 1985 only.

The 1986 tractor operator manual

Have to go to Kohler for the engine manuals

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/serieslanding.htm?series=K-Series#productlist

Garry

theront

thanks for the input, she thought it was a 79.  I have a manual for the motor.  I am just starting to look for parts for this, is anything available for this engine?

Thanks

MarkPalmer

The 24350 spec is a series II KT17, well worth rebuilding.  All the parts are readily available for it from various suppliers. 

-Mark-