Sign in to follow this  
littleredrider

John Deere 70

littleredrider

Anybody have one?? I picked one up this weekend, and need some info and possibly some parts. There is no motor, and from what I've been reading, they are specific to this tractor. I'd like to put a mower deck on it, found one, but the guess the PTO's on these keep from swapping engines easy. Leave it to John Deere.

post-2844-0-61336600-1369704905_thumb.jp

rydogg

My father has the JD 60 which is the 6hp version yours should have a 7hp vertical shaft tecumseh.  Some of these had a "2 speed" rear end you had to flip the seat and fenders back and move the drive belt over to a different size pulley.

littleredrider

This one is a 74, and only the 60s had that two speed rear. Trying to find the pulley and clutch so I can get a motor in there and maybe the mower deck...Can't find anything online, JD doesn't give anything out.

Jake Kuhn

I have a 60 that I completely restored a little over a year ago. They are a cool little tractor. The tecumseh engines have a special crankshaft that you have to have if you want to be able to hook up the pto If I remember right.

Here's a link to the rebuild on mine.

and finished...

littleredrider

Looks good, hope mine would look half as good afterwards. Right now trying to find parts for the PTO. I'd like to be able to use it, and I did find a deck. Making a plow or modifying one shouldn't be hard. Do you have any pics of the PTO or belt routing?? At least if I get a motor I can get it to drive...

Jake Kuhn

Tell me what you would like to see and I have a complete service manual for the 60's and 70's. I think its over 100 pages and has some really nice diagrams. I can probably try and scan them, or see how it is to just take a picture of one.

Jake

littleredrider

Looking for the PTO setup and how the belt runs from the shaft to the pulley. Not sure if there is supposed to be an intermediate pulley setup in there, or if it just twists.

T-Mo

Jake,

I would like to have a copy of that service manual also.

Jake Kuhn

T-Mo Might take me a while if you want me to just scan every single page. Is there a certain thing you are looking for, or just the complete manual?

littleredrider

Probly won't put a mower on it, but would still like to see how stuff goes underneath.

T-Mo

T-Mo Might take me a while if you want me to just scan every single page. Is there a certain thing you are looking for, or just the complete manual?

Just the complete manual for my collection.

Jake Kuhn

Just the complete manual for my collection.

Ok, give me some time, Maybe in a month or so I'll have it all done. Its a big manual and will take time to scan.

littleredrider

wonder why such a big manual for a little tractor??

littleredrider

I've been looking over there, but still didn't find info I was looking for....

Jake Kuhn

sorry I haven't gotten to pics yet, I'll make sure to get pics of the diagrams your looking for tomorrow.

littleredrider

no big deal, gotta find a motor...

T-Mo

This is a good resource for JD info.  http://www.mytractorforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

They have a LOT of active members (1200 online now) 

Something tells me MTF is about to get in deep trouble with JD legal.  JD will go after web sites who allow free downloads of their material.  Luckily I have been stock piling manuals, but I do need the 70 manual.

littleredrider

I wouldn't worry bout the manual. I took a look at a manual today, got an idea, and probly never find the parts anyways. But I think I did figure out a way to get a PTO on there....But if you do get pics, that's always good....

littleredrider

I've been checking online, stopping by JD dealers, only thing anybody has is the manual. I think I got a motor that will work, but need to pull it yet. Can't really do that cause my daughter likes to drive it around......