Sign in to follow this  
Torino

520xi 48" deck question

Torino

520xi 48" 78363 deck.  As the pics show I am getting strips on my lawn especially if it is uneven or going around a corner. If it is nice and flat it does good. I have set the deck wheels a couple times trying to get it to stop.  Any thoughts?

post-171-0-33201500-1369596214_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-55907600-1369596246_thumb.jpg

whfan74

Just curious on if it is actual problems with the cutting or more to do with the weight of the machine? With the deck mounted and no operator on the unit, you are over 1100 lbs. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, just throwing out a suggestion.

doc724

WH junkie, might be right, it is just a question of weight.  However, I had a similar problem and it turned out my deck was sprung by the PO.  Get out the owners manual and follow the instruction for leveling the deck.  Here is a hint, you do not use a level to level the deck.  Make some gauge blocks out of 2x4's, each one 1/8 inch different from the next one.  You will need 3 or 4 of these and you slide them under the baldes when the mower is parked on a flat surface.  I had a devil of a time trying to use a tape measure to measure blade height to the surface until my neighbor gave me the gauge block suggestion.

Rock farmer

First place I would look is bent blade or bad spindle bearing? Perhaps bent spindle?

Joe

Rick_in_CT

Torino,

I have the same model deck on a 522xi and I get a pretty even cut.

Is this your first year with this tractor, or have you mowed with it in the past?  Trying to get an idea if it is a new problem on a deck that was previously cutting fine for you, or if you are new to the machine.

Was any work done on the deck recently?  Are the front wheels adjusted correctly, they should be 3/8" off the ground, and have to be readjusted each time you change the deck cutting height.

Was a blade or snow blower used over the winter?  If it was, were the two clevis pins removed as shown in figure three on page 4 of the deck manual.

Rick

stevebo

Is there shims under the blades? You may have one under and the others over which would make the blades cut at different heights. 

shallowwatersailor

I have the same deck. It sounds like the deck might be racked somehow, or a spindle might be a different length. Don't be deceived by the outer blades looking like they are too long though. The front edge of the deck is not as deep as the rear.

One thing I found when I bought my tractor three years ago was that the deck was not attached correctly by the "Green" dealer I bought it from. The right side gauge wheel would always rub the rear tire. I tried moving the axle but nothing would work. It wasn't until I put the deck back on for the first time after having my plow mounted for winter did I get it on correctly. Now it is about 1" away on both sides. No more rubbing. I think that one of the J-pins were inserted wrong by them when I bought it.

JD and Stens makes a blade gauge, by the way, that you can slip under the deck and gives you the measurement on the outside. It is JD part #AM130907, and Stens 750-442.

John

Torino

Let me make sure we are all on the same page.  I am referring to the strip pointed at in below photo.  This is about the 4th time I have mowed with this tractor.  It is happening on the edge of the deck.

post-171-0-40775100-1369655564_thumb.jpg

Forest Road

I'd agree with checking the deck for all the above mentioned thoughts. It could be incorrectly mounted, not properly leveled, warped. A blade could be bent or have extra washers/shims under it. Good luck

Challenger

I've had two sprung 48" decks over the years.  Is this a design weakness?

diesel cowboy

Have you checked the tire pressure on the side thats leaving the strips?  Had a couple at work do that and the tire would flex enough to leave it when it bounced or it was turning.             Stewart

Torino

I did check the tire pressure but that is something often overlooked.  I once change tires on my 318 from turf to ags and it missed up the alignment of the deck.  The tires where both the same size but the ags turned out to be taller.

Jim_M

There are 2 cams on the lift arms about 6" back from the J hooks. They're used for leveling the deck. PM with your e mail address and I'll send you a pdf of the manual for your tractor.