Sign in to follow this  
Killer 2000 Chevy

Picked up a cool little motor today.

Killer 2000 Chevy

post-8084-0-13229100-1369594043_thumb.jpThis little guy was destined for the scrapyard. I have a couple ideas for it. 

Sparky

What would it have been mounted on? Push mower?

Mike.........

rydogg

What would it have been mounted on? Push mower?

Mike.........

push mower

squonk

OH NO!! One of those wind up jobs! icon_mfhide.gif I remember as a little kid, grownups trying to start those things. Wind,wind,wind,wind, then POOOH! Wind,wind,wind,wind, POOH! I thought what a dumb-a$$ way to start an engine. But now I think they are way cool as long as I don't own it! :) :) :):thumbs:

Killer 2000 Chevy

It was for a push mower and yes another one of TORO's AWESOME ideas. Found some brochure pictures on google

Killer 2000 Chevy

post-8084-0-92520600-1369617707_thumb.jp

C-85

This would have been on a Toro Whirlwind walk behind mower around a 1967 year.  My family's business sold these mowers new back then and they were great.  I was about 6 years old and my job was to put these together, which mainly was to put the handles together.  I can still smell the paint from opening the boxes these came in!  The oil fill was always confusing.  I forget just how the oil reservoir worked, but it had to do with watching the bubbles when you pushed the button to let the oil into the engine.  This is the only thing that was bad about that mower though!

Here's what I'm still using and I love these mowers, these are 1968"s!  They used the famous Toro S blade, which I have stocked up on because they've long since been obsolete.  These mowers will blast through most any grass and just blow it out because they were not built with any rock guards, and that's at near idle engine speed as that is usually what I run them at!  I don't have to run them fast  to get them to cut grass and I think that is part of why they've lasted so long.  I also wash them after every use from top to bottom.  These mowers are very light weight and great to use.  They don't have any safety anything on them, and that's fine with me, I learned how to use mowers before we had all that stuff on them!  I think you would have to buy a commercial mower to get this kind of quality today, but they would be a lot heavier, these are very light weight and tough!

Please don't toss this engine out, it is a true chunk of history and should probably be in a museum!

2008-05-25_002Large.jpg

• Like 1

C-85

Another thing I noticed on this engine was the Older Toro logo that I grew up with.  Those logos had the Toro bullhead that they always used to use which sets this era apart from all the newer Toro stuff!

I'm sorry, I just love all the older Toro mowers! :) What a trip back in time the picture of that engine did to me!

Killer 2000 Chevy

I also have the Toro Flymo 19. I got it at a barn sale for almost nothing. It runs, but I am in the process of redoing the paint and decals now.It also has the Toro bullhead on the deck. It's just hard to see, it's almost the same color as the deck.post-8084-0-45066600-1369620699_thumb.pn