Sign in to follow this  
66 bronco

264G running slow with PTO on

66 bronco

I'm new to the this forum and new to wheel horse. Actually I'm even new to riding mowers! lol Just resentlly my father in-law just bought a new tractor so he gave me his old Wheel Horse 246G. He bought it new in 1994 and it just turned 601 hr. of time on it. I know my father in-law keep up with it but some things are starting need attention. I first had to readjust the transmission shifter linkage because it wouldn't always engage into reverse.

Here is my current problem or maybe it is not a problem it just the nature of the beast. With out the PTO on the tractor drive a speed I think it would run at, pretty quick IMO. Once I engage the PTO to cut the grass the speed of the tractor is cutdown by less then 1/2. I understand by using the PTO is adding additional work to the engine so it might not have the horse power to run like it with out the extra work to the engine.

So my question is this, is this normal or is there something I need to fix, replace, or adjust to get the speed of the tractor to match with or without the PTO on? Am I dealing with just a tired engine, bad drive belt, carb adjustments or etc?

Thanks in advance for your help! Jeff

dsholler

I am not familiar with these models, but there are a couple of thigs to check that would be try on any tractor. First, make sure you are running full throttle, so you will get the correct power to the pto. Also, the deck is the part that gets the most wear ( I have an 87 tractor with a 99 deck). Make sure that you can turn the deck easily by hand when it is in the operating position. Andy check to see that the belts are ok while you are at it

If the deck is ok, you may have to do more complicated stuff, like checking the engine rpms ( does this model have a tach? Full throttle should be 3600)

There are a bunch of comments on the web about people getting these tractors and having to rebuild or replace the deck.

66 bronco

Hey thanks for posting. Yeah this weekend I'll look at the deck more closely. I'll make all the blades are freely turning along with the vac attachment. My model does not have a tech but it does seem to slow a bit once the PTO is turned on. Is there away to bump up the RPMs though an adjustment on carb?

Thanks again, Jeff

dsholler

Deck and vac attachment running from the same engine is a huge load. Check everything involved in making both of them move, and be sure that all the belts and pulleys spin freely with no grinding noises or resistance.

I would also ask your father in law about when this started, or if it is something new since you got it.

66 bronco

Yeah I figured the deck was load on the motor. I just wasn't sure if the reduction / loss of speed was a direct result of using the PTO (dragging it down) or it was a function mowing meaning the tractor would slow down purposely because the slower speed for a better cut. But as of right now the tractor is slower then walking speed with a push mower. With out the PTO on the tractor moves quick.