Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Oil weight going obsolete??? Might be deja vu topic.... sorry if it is

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

walked into Pep Boys with a 50% off special on oil and filter combo, I get them in the mail now and then.  Well I go to back and I'm looking everywhere for 10/40.... there is NONE.....  I ask the sales guy walking around and he says what they have is out on the shelves. I then look closer and notice that theres no shelf stickers that say 10/40 blah blah blah anywhere.

I mention to the sales guy that I didnt even see a spot for it..... he says "what weight did I want again?" and I say 10/40..... he goes Oh!  and shows me the 10/40 thats up front on a clearance table.  Then tells me that 10/40 is obsolete and that Pep Boys won't be carrying 10/40 and that I can special order it a case at a time.

R U KIDDIN me???? 10/40 obsolete????  What about all these tired GM/Ford/Chrysler iron motors still running around.... If I dumped 5w anything or worse yet 0w anything into my old Buick or Chevy the motor would throw a fit on me.

Siigggggghhhhhhhh   all the stuff I use or like is going down the drain....  Anyone else notice this?

Tony

bean

my wife just bought a 2013 honda civic. we did the first oil change, and it uses 0w20 oil. I had to look for it. 5w20 is probably the new norm. 10w40 is obsolete in any new vehicle(car). don't know about trucks.

Shuboxlover

My yanmar in my JD430 :hide: uses 15W-40....isn't that pretty close???

leeave96

Not surprised. Walmart and Kmart in my neck of the woods don't carry any brand name 30wt oil.

MalMac

I second what leeave96 says, sometimes trying to find 30wt is a real chore around here.

6wheeler

Same problem up here. I use 15w40 in my 94 F250 w/ 460 and also my 91 Dakota w/318. Finding 30wt around here is getting tougher too.

truckin88

15w40 is std diesel oil so you will find that pretty easy. Straight 30 anint that bad to find cause new air cooled OPE motors still use it. As for everything else NAPA might be your best bet. Walmart varies by store. I have 2 within 10 miles of me one east one west, both super centers, one has a great selection, the other not so much. 

perry

Not surprised. Walmart and Kmart in my neck of the woods don't carry any brand name 30wt oil.

The walmart here sells rottella 30W in gallon jugs. thats what i get for around $12 . look in the auto parts stores where they sell bulk oil for big trucks and tractors.

SousaKerry

I am able to find almost any grade I need at a local Farm store.  Just may be you have shop around and as the old yellow page add goes "let your fingers do the walking"  only this time on the ol' interweb

VinsRJ

Ahhh, I see the "Post Police" came through...

CasualObserver

Vin... you know better.

(and for the record... whether I agree with you or not is not the issue..... :thumbs:  it's all about the peace and wellness of the forum)

• Like 1

VinsRJ

Vin... you know better.

(and for the record... whether I agree with you or not is not the issue..... :thumbs:  it's all about the peace and wellness of the forum)

I know... just wanted to see if you mods were on your toes, LOL! :happy-jumpeveryone:

Edited by VinsRJ
  • Like 2