Sign in to follow this  
rojojr13

42" Deck center spindle grease fitting issue

rojojr13

I all,

I have noticed that on my 42" side discharge deck the center spindle grease fitting keeps coming off.  It appears that it is hitting the lift arm and is wearing down.  I dressed the treads and reinstalled one but it keeps happening.  Does any one else also have this problem?  What can I do to fix it?

Thanks

Trouty56

I have read of removing the fitting and plugging it.....then insert the fitting to grease it.  Maybe a 3/4 inch plastic bolt cap would work......there may auto type insert to use also.  Some drill and put a pin though the lift arm....this may restrict side to side float or cause the mounting of the lift arm to crack though.  Got to be a lot of pressure on it if it can't give sideways.

I don't know if a bit of sealant might hold ok then pick it out when the fitting needs used then add another blob.  If a little gets in the housing I doubt it would hurt.

Edited by Trouty56

rojojr13

Thanks for the response.  It is nice to see that I am not alone.  I think that I will try and plug it as you suggest.  That way I can install the fitting to grease the spindle a few times a season.

Don1977

It hits the lift bar is what is causing it. I use a 1/4" fine tread set screw in mine. Had a grease fitting with the top wore off in it for years loss that to.

• Like 1

Trouty56

I was in Lowe's today and saw some auto type connectors in the specialty drawers in the fastener aisle.  Very flat tops and various lengths and widths made of plastic.  I am going to try one to see if it will work out ok.  Maybe you can try it.  I didn't know the size of the grease fitting off hand.  I have a 100% failure rate when I guess.  Cost was like 80 cents for 2.

Short Circuit

I had the same issue on a mower deck I was trying out. It was a side discharge deck. I didn't try to fix it 'cause I was going to sell it.

I noticed on the deck that there are two adjustable stops on the outside front of the deck float mechanism, that limits the lower range of travel for the left and right arms. If you adjust those stop bolts so the float arms do not go down all the way, it will prevent the lift arm from coming into contact with the grease fitting. It might be worth a try on your deck.

Don1977

Those are Transport level stops and should adjusted so that when the deck is all the way up it's level. Back when the lift brackets were designed they didn't have that grease fitting there. They added grease able spindles and the lift brackets stayed the same.

mrc

hello sir,  the deck is causing the lift bar to come into contact with the grease zerk.  to solve this push the deck against the lift bar. you will see that the lift bar is now offset from the grease zerk. allowing for a big, heavy flat washer on the other side of the lift bar pin mark a spot with a majic marker or such. remove lift bar from tractor. drill hole in lift bar. reattach deck. put on washer. put big hair pin cotter thru the hole you just drilled.  now the deck cannot move side to side and whack the greaes zerk. regards.  mike in mass.

BOWTIE

THE NEWER TRACTORS HAVE THE LIFT ARM DRILLED FOR A HAIRPIN AND FLAT WASHER TO GO THROUGH IT. 1998 AND NEWER 314-315 MOBELS 73449-73450 WHEEL HORSE DID THIS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

BOWTIE

Wyattrrp

This issue was discussed maybe back in December or so.  Each time I lifed my 48" deck the lift arm hit the side of the zerk and it spun out.  The best solution was shown with a photo of the washer and cotter pin holding the lift arm off the to side just enough so the zerk no longer hits the arm as mrc describes.  Maybe search and you will come up with the photo on here showing the arm shifted and held slightly offset.

Wyattrrp

Here is the link to that discussion and phto of the washer.