Sign in to follow this  
6wheeler

Oliver garden tractors

6wheeler

That's the question that came up at work yesterday. A guy I work with restores old Oliver farm tractors and asked me if Oliver ever had a GT :eusa-think: . So we started talking about the brands we know of. I know JD and IH  and AC and Massey Ferguson had tractors that reasonably appeared to look like their farm tractors. Then later Ford and Deutz also made them in the "image" of the larger tractors. I have seen a Minneapolis Moline  that looks like the Vista series Farm tractor. But, I have never seen an Oliver. So, Has anyone ever seen an Oliver GT ? Who made them? Burning questions... Maybe we should just get back to work  :techie-eureka:  :teasing-whipyellow: ...

joel_400

I'm pretty sure that Jacobsen built the Oliver garden tractors...

Joel

CasualObserver

Yes, Jacobsen built them.  And the Olivers are the most expensive ones if you can find them!

These were at LeSueur in 2011 when Oliver was the feature.

8-29-10086.jpg

Jacobsen built the same tractors, painted them several colors and sold them under several brand names.  Oliver, White, Minneapolis Moline, Cockshutt, Ford and Jacobsen that I can think of right now.  I'd have to look it up to see if there were others.

MarkPalmer

They are very rare tractors because they were only built during the 1972 model year and sold 72-73.  This is when White, who owned Oliver, was transitioning to sell their tractors under the White name only.  There are some of these same model Jacobsen LGT's badged as Whites and also Cockshutt, both extremely rare to find.   In the end it was nothing more than different paint and badges on common Jacobsens which were also commonly sold as Fords before Ford switched to Gilson for production.  There were a few Minneapolis-Moline Jacobsens in the mix too.  I proudly own a Jacobsen-Jacobsen :)

-Mark-

6wheeler

Thanks guys. I figured someone did make some. I do know where there is a White I could get but , it is pretty rough. And, of course. The owner thinks there is gold under what is left of the paint. Jason, thanks for the subliminal "cuff" upside the head. If I would go to LeSeur once in awhile? I probably would have known that :ychain: . Hopefully, this year. I will make it.

CasualObserver

bonk.gif no problem Pat! :laughing-rofl:   I hope you can make it this year.  Can't believe it's only three months away already.

What color is the White?  Red or blue? (ironic question, I know.) :)

6wheeler

Its actually silver (sort of) with a red stripe (whats left of it). These folks used to be my uncles neighbors and farmed right next to him. When they bought a new 2-105 White in the late 70's they also got a new GT in the deal  :teasing-signhere:  . They have since quit  farming and moved to town. One of the boys took the GT with him to restore. But, instead it sat out behind his garage under a tarp since about 2000. It looks bad. He wants $300.00 for it. I just can't talk myself into it. I figure he will get tired of it being there one of these days and call me :handgestures-fingerscrossed: .

Jim_M

I had a silver White here once, it was made by MTD and wasn't the same tractor as the old Jacobsen built Whites.

Edited by Jim_M

perry

I had a silver White here once, it was made by MTD and wasn't the same tractor as the old Jacobsen built Whites.

ya MTD took over the white brand . the larger MTD white were not that bad . had 3pt. kelly has one.

I have had the jacobsens' fords, and MM version's but never the Ollie .

decksetter

I saw one of these Oliver garden tractors this morning at the Portland, IN swap meet.  There wasn't anyone around to ask about it.  I have heard they are very rare though, maybe a few hundred produced??  Can't remember exactly.