Sign in to follow this  
pacer

RM-485 48" deck spindle shaft

pacer

Started on the rebuild of my 1054's 48" RM-485 mower deck --- what a mess!! RUST CITY!

One idler pulley apparently non-existent, another with, again, a non-existent bearing, but these have work arounds, as does the rust and stress cracks (some creative welding!) but... I have found a spindle shaft that has hair line cracks coming out of the key slot for the pulley, the 2 bearings were bad, so maybe vibration?? Any how, it appears to be useable for an indeterminate time, but I would like to have one on hand to replace it before it disintegrates and messes up a pulley or ..... Can find a couple listed at obscene prices, as usual for OEM stuff. I have this same shaft in my D-180 deck, so would imagine it was in others as well.

P/N 5217

Anybody got one of these shafts, or a couple of them, since I've got 2 decks that could possibly need one later....??

This is a pic of one I found on the web

post-9681-0-83031200-1367877809.gif

Don1977

You need to pull a spindle assemble and check it against the later model spindles to see if the housing flange, blade , and pulley lines up. The deck  looks the much the same I know you could used all later model spindle assembles not sure if you could use just one with the ones you have. I went to the basement to check what I have but I don't have any that old. I checked the newer 3/4" keyed spindle it's 4" from the top of the housing where it bolts to the bottom of the deck to the top of the blade. The bottom edge of the pulley is 7/8" above housing flange. I also checked a Double D spindle and it is also 4" from the same points. The Double D uses the same blade mount as yours with the same flat sided pulley mount. Could not check the Double D pulley as I modified them for the metric spindles on my 48" deck. 

I checked the spindle you have on Parts Tree $153 is a little steep.

pacer

I wrote this up after I came in from the shop thinking as I did it that I needed to show dims. I had reassembled the spindle checking for fit-up with the new bearings and with the cracks alongside the keyway (which was OK). Tomorrow I'll disassemble it and take the measurements (and ck against what youve shown) and post them, I would have guessed that spindle was used thru several models.

I had also saw that partstree quote - gasp! - ...was hoping someone had a used one for a bit less than that.

Don1977

They changed to the Double D in 1975 on my deck. Up in to the 1990's or so you could buy spindle assemblies a blade, housing, spindle,bearings, pulley and all. So I have used about every type they made since 1975.  After checking all the later models line up, let's  hope your do. I went to the metric as they use 6203 metric bearings and they are a lot cheaper then the 3/4" ID ones. Some of the old Chevy alternators used that bearing. Back before they had internet sales I use to make a round of the parts house for the 6203 bearings. I have went to 3 or 4 places to find enough bearings for my deck.

pacer

OK, I have the dimensions on the spindle shaft for the 485 mower deck, hopefully some one can find one in their "stuff" and can give a better price than a new one... The bearings shafts are 3/4" diameter and the center part is 7/8".

post-9681-0-41400000-1367945756_thumb.jp

Don1977

I wanted the assemble dimensions from the bottom of the blade cup to where the housing where it bolts to the bottom of the deck. To see if the other type spindles would work on you deck with the ones you have. All the others measure 4" at those points. I know for sure that the metric spindles and the 80's model 3/4" keyed will work together as I have had both on my deck at the same time. The other dimension was 7/8" from the top of the spindle housing to the bottom of the pulley to see if the pulleys line up.

I know the blade would be different as the new ones just have one round 3/4" hole.

pacer

Don,

I get 4 3/8" on that measurement and 5/8" on the other, so it would seem they are 2 different types altogether, dang it!

I really appreciate your effort in trying to figure this out.

I may end up trying to make one - making it would not be a problem, I have a lathe and mill but hardening it nice and evenly could be a problem with limited ability in that area.

Don1977

Just used a good piece of cold roll steel. I have a metric spindle on my deck that a friend made. It's the second one he made the first one lasted 10 or 12 years. Mine are 3/4" fine tread to hold the blade I stripped the tread on it but the nut was worse then the spindle. They were not hardened. What finished the first one was hitting a ground level root in my dads yard. I put a better nut on that spindle and mowed a couple more times before I got the second one.

pacer

That is interesting... this shaft is really hard, in fact, there are indications that the cracks are from being TOO hard. I think I have a piece of stressproof that could probably be made up and be fine as is without hardening. I'll look into that tomorrow.

Thanks again...

Bill Pace

groundhog47

Bill, may be able to find a used ass'y on ebay  PM sent 

pacer

Dang! I didnt EVEN think to look for a complete assy  --- well, groundhog straightened me out on that, thank you very much! So I promptly ordered me a complete spindle assy, $25 plus ship - quite a bit better than the OEM price for just the shaft!. Even looks like mine with all that rust, hah!

Thanks

Bill Pace