Sign in to follow this  
Tonyp

Restoration 310-8 progress report #1

Tonyp

I posted several weeks back that I was in process of getting my 27 year old 310-8 back in service, not a show quality restoration , partial, back to full operating condition. Many thanks for the excellent recommendations and information from those that replied....

after taking it apart, it was apparant that an obvious requirement was cleaning and lube...Of course two flat, rotted tires didn't help but thats easy stuff.

Tractor has 973 hours, actually not bad for a 1987 machine...For most of it's life the tractor was garage  kept but the last 10 years found it outside under cover as it was not used much. After the REFURBISH, it's coming back into the garage, I'll make room  for it !

Expectations:

NOT restoring to brand new appearance but certainly to nice, clean and attractive

Goal is for a reliable quick start funtional tractor that can be a back up to cutting grass and other chores.

This tractor is used to haul stuff back into the woods and to pull an aerator with weight  for FALL yard prep...I generally do this after a light rain which, as we all know, can really get the tractor dirty !

So far:

power washing !  ya think !

two new tires, one front one rear..now all 4 are new...

new choke cable

removed and cleaned gas tank, replaced fuel lines

Flushed transaxle with Diesel fuel...added 2 qts of lube,   THIS WAS EXCELLENT ADVICE !

10HP Kohler , New Oil, Plug , Air Filter...lots of scrubbing,

Adjusted brake assembly

PLUS..no leaks , Engine or tranny....

Still to go:

Deck is still in need of some rust repair...

Cleaned the bottom and repainted

Belts are ok

Pully's need oil but all are spinning free...

Frame still needs some general cleaning and paint here and there

Where am I now:?

Runs great..strong, burns no oil , starts on first crank...throttle control and choke like new !

before assembly of rear fender, seat and rear wheels, more cleaning is required, especially the rear..

Mower deck service , blades etc. need attention but it appears all will be good.

More to come, very grateful for the commetnts on the earlier thread...I suspect I am a week away from yard operation...

First two  photo's..before work began.
Following photo's , work  in process...The photo with the gas tank reinstalled, the tractor is running while flushing the transmission and general claeaning has also begun...

Hopefully next weekend there will be another progress report... 

t

post-10171-0-89503400-1367751694_thumb.j

post-10171-0-87195500-1367751786_thumb.j

post-10171-0-55070600-1367752071_thumb.j

post-10171-0-21051000-1367752081.jpg

KATO

And another one will live on !!!!   Good work :woohoo:

Tonyp

About a month ago I put this tractor on Craigslist for $375 !  For ONE DAY..then removed it...thank god I didn't sell it !  What was I thinking !   So far I have spent about $200 in lube and materials, including the two new tires...

Geesh..what was I thinking

darg

I have some parts for a 312 if you need some , I think they should fit the 310. The 312 I bought is in fair cond. good trans frame axel . etc. I was interested in the 12 hp mag engine.

darg

Don1977

I would have bought it good thing you removed it. :ychain: