Sign in to follow this  
frogpond

e-tank

frogpond

has anyone here tried to use an older DC arc welder for their e-tank? thanks

Kevin

Don1977

That could have too many amps. to be safe. I would check with some one that would know for sure before I tried it. You could ask in the electrical forum.

sorekiwi

I've never done it, but I have read that others have.  A Google search of the internet should find you information, whether you act on it is up to you!

Save Old Iron

DC welders are will vary in their open lead voltages. A typical battery charger will have between 15 - 16 volts at its leads. DC welders may go from 25 to over 50 volts on some settings. Yes, this increase in voltage will produce dramatic e-tank activity but also release dramatic amounts of explosive hydrogen and oxygen near the tank. IMO,

NEVER WORTH THE RISK

I have e-tanked many large pieces with a modified car battery charger and never had to leave a large piece in the tank more than 24 hours. Most times, the amperage on the battery charger never exceeded 2 to 4 amps.

Folks who do specialty work with e - tank setups to recover precious objects use very low voltages or controlled low current setups, producing low activity on the object being recovered. Recovery takes longer but less potential damage is done to the recovered object.

frogpond

Thanks for the answers guys. I guess that I will continue to use the battery charger and try a little more patience.  A learning experience from God.

Kevin