Sign in to follow this  
KC9KAS

Really Rubs Me Raw

KC9KAS

An individual joins a forum so they can put their item in the classifieds. (Multiple forums actually)

I send a PM that I am interested in the item, and will pay the asking price.

I will send the money (Money order/certified check) and pick the item up in 5-6 weeks.

Seller won't sell this way...You have to show up at his place and if he still has the item, you can buy it and take it home.

I'm glad the folks I have dealt with on here and other forums do business a little differently!

I haven't been screwed and I haven't screwed anyone on any deals that were made.

OK, now that my blood pressure has gone up I will step off my soap-box!

Thanks for listening to my rant.

• Like 1

chrisd200(inactive)

Know what ya mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shuboxlover

I know what you mean!!!  However, there are still good people out there.

Just today I "sold" something on CL...The guy said he can't come down till next weekend, I said "that's fine, It's yours until next Monday morning, if I don't hear anything from you, it'll be for sale again.  If someone calls asking about it, I'll take their name and number and call them if the sale falls through"

I don't know why people have to make things so hard.  Just treat people how you would want to be treated and the rest will take care of itself.

groundhog47

Amen on  that, a seller ought to specify if can't wait, as long as buyer specifies a "when time frame" and like Shubox... said about the name and number list. Have found most people understand that. Wow, I'd never get anything sold if had to have someone find me home. He just didn't want good Wheel Horse money, KC9... 

6wheeler

An individual joins a forum so they can put their item in the classifieds. (Multiple forums actually)

I send a PM that I am interested in the item, and will pay the asking price.

I will send the money (Money order/certified check) and pick the item up in 5-6 weeks.

Seller won't sell this way...You have to show up at his place and if he still has the item, you can buy it and take it home.

I'm glad the folks I have dealt with on here and other forums do business a little differently!

I haven't been screwed and I haven't screwed anyone on any deals that were made.

OK, now that my blood pressure has gone up I will step off my soap-box!

Thanks for listening to my rant.

See, I don't get this whole thing. If you wanted to buy something from me? And, offered my asking price plus send a c-check or money order? That, to me seems like a guaranteed deal. I would take a deal like that. Maybe charge a little extra for storage. But, probably not. If I didn't get the check within a week? I'd call back and make sure it was going to be there in the next couple of days. If not? list it again. I just think that the honesty level has dropped so bad because of all the no-shows and no-calls, that people are leery of any non-face to face deal. But, I guess all of this online selling and or buying sort of designed that way of thinking. I am a deal is a deal kind of guy. If I am selling something? And we agree on a deal? It's yours. Unless you tell me otherwise. I don't care if someone else calls that may want the item and even offers more for it. I say, "it is sold. But I will take your number just in case the deal falls through". My own integrity is on the line here. I have bought items that were close to me for other members. I could be one of those "I don't know you, so how can I trust you to actually take it kind of guys". But, I like to think there are still good honest people out there. Even if I offer to buy something and go to look at it? And it turns out not to be in as good a shape as the owner states. I will still try to buy it. Maybe work on the price a little. I will explain what I found and try to negotiate a little. But, absolutely not tell the seller it is a P.O.S. and try to low ball the crap out of him. That is not honest. If it is something I cannot justify because it needs too much work or is really bad? I simply say," Thank you for your time. But, it just needs too much for me to justify it". But I always bring the money with me. And be honest with the seller. I never get angry because I drove all the way out there. And didn't bring it home. I am not buying a brand new item. So, I try to expect the worst and maybe I will be wrong and it will be nice. You just never know. Sorry you had to deal with this. It sucks. But, it is the times we live in I guess.

• Like 1

Challenger

A couple of recent long distance purchases for me lately:

1.  Bought a new compact tractor 175 miles away.  Sight unseen.  Seller didn't want deposit.  Held it for 3 weeks until my schedule worked out.  Great transaction.

2.  Attempting to sell a new Wheel Horse to a buyer 1200 miles away.  Been going on for over 1 month. Sight unseen.  The buyer has put me through the ringer.  HE Proposed no payment until it arrived in his driveway via a shipping company.  NO.  Then proposed One-third down payment and balance at delivery.  NO  Then proposed I pay part of the shipping.  MAYBE.  Then due to his changing suggestions we missed two good deals on shipping quotes.  Then asked if my banker would be an escrow agent.  NO  Then, and then, and then......  I think tomorrow I'm pulling the plug on this deal.

All kinds of people in this world.

groundhog47

I agree above 6wheel..., I once backed out on an order from a shop though, they sold me a part and said would have to order other same part at $10 or so more, came home and found one on line way less. I called and cancelled. Any time I online order they usually offer a same day cancel or return. The shop told me they couldn't cancel. Needless to say ruined my rep there. On any sale delivering funds or accepting funds, it's same but different. Once made a sale, ad a little confusing 'cept to me, made a buyer angry, I learned be more clear on part nomenclature and confirm that is what is understood. The cheaters/scammers out there ruin it for all well intenioned "my word is gold" buyers and sellers. One member had a deal wher tryin' to sell on CL and kept gettin' bogus "interested inquirys", grown or semi matured folks with nutin to do but play games, well that's run me way over :techie-hourglass:    

squonk

I guess I've been lucky. I've sold parts sight unseen to guys in Ohio and Florida. Pre-sold a bunch before the show last year. I bought some hubcaps by sending the money by paypal and trusted the guy would ship them. I think I've dealt with CL people enough now to tell the real people from the fakers.

Forest Road

KISS Keep It Simple Stupid! Applies to all points of life. Even cash transactions.