Sign in to follow this  
cdsl810

Eaton 11/520h question

cdsl810

I'm new to the Eaton 11 as I just picked up my 520 three days ago. Is it normal for the hydro to do a "free fall" down a slope and then slow or even stop for a second at the bottom before catching up and continuing forward motion?  By "free fall" I don't mean a neutral feeling, but rather a faster than normal speed is allowed to happen but is maintained.  If this is normal, great. Just need to check with you experienced horsemen. Thanks

Rideawaysenior

No, it is not normal.  The theory behind the hydrostat is to give "dynamic power".  This means it is constant and controlled at all levels.  One of the features is that is will "should" keep constant speed at all times.  This is due to the principle of the constant hrdraulic pressure.  If you are experiencing that you probably have a detent valve that is blocked or perhaps a bypass that is not working properly. 

Jack

SousaKerry

My C-175 has been doing that for years, I just pull back on the stick a little

leeave96

I'm new to the Eaton 11 as I just picked up my 520 three days ago. Is it normal for the hydro to do a "free fall" down a slope and then slow or even stop for a second at the bottom before catching up and continuing forward motion?  By "free fall" I don't mean a neutral feeling, but rather a faster than normal speed is allowed to happen but is maintained.  If this is normal, great. Just need to check with you experienced horsemen. Thanks

I feel this is normal.  Both my 520H tractors do this.  One has about 400 hrs and the other around 65 hrs.  Even when going very slow, I get a hesitation until the hydro and or fluid catch-up for direction.  Here's an exanple of that:  I could back into my storage, idle down, almost come to a complete stop and (when changing from fwd to reverse) then start moving again   Where I live, it's rolly/hilly and not much free space  to set a hydro and forget it - like cruise control.  I mow up to five different yards other than my own from time to time (helping out Church and family when needed) and all are rolly/lumpy.  The speed up/slow down on my 520H tractors is noticable and while not really a pain, but really makes me appreciate my gear drive 314-8.

However, I don't have this problem with my IH Cub Cadet hydro or Simplicity Sovereign hydro tractors.  They both maintain ground speed more similar to a gear drive - though there is some slow down/speed-up - just not as pronounced as the Wheelhorse.  The IH hydro has a provision to maintain constant speed and I can't explain why the Simplicity holds it's speed.  I was also told one time that the Wheelhorse didn't have internal hydro circuits to dampen this speed-up/slow down like other hydros.  Don't know if that's true or not - just what I've been told.

Here are some links:

http://www.ihcubcadet.com/IHCCFAQ/HydroProblems.htm

IMHO - the ultimate cure is Matt's foot control conversion for the hydro's.

Thanks!

Bill

cdsl810

I'm a little concerned. But I still believe that the 23 year old 520 is a better tractor than anything I could have bought new for under $3000.

If the hydro has become worn and weak I'm sure it isn't going to stop anytime soon. If I must rebuild it at a cost around $500, then I will still only have $1500 invested in a tractor that even though older, should outlast anything I could buy new for the same $1500.

My 15-44HXL does not exhibit the same behavior, nor does my old Cub. They are both rock solid. I just made an assumption that all by hydrostatic drives were similar.

MalMac

I don't know if you call it "Normal" or not, but every Eaton 11 I have had did that from new. It has been discussed on here several times by different people. I my self have learn to live with it. Just always be alert to it. But saying that's the way it's supposed to be, I can not say for sure. My new ones did it and my old ones do to.

boovuc

My 91 520-H does it and has always done it. Matters not after changing out the oil/filter, cold or hot, winter or summer. I think the concern is how severe it does it. If I come down a steep hill, it isn't in a free-fall. I had a C-120 with an old Sundstrand hydro that would do that and it was definitely going bad!