Sign in to follow this  
timcroft

Bad solenoid?

timcroft

My 95-96 416-8 with an Onan engine won't start.  The blue wire to the tab on the solenoid shows 12 volts when the switch is turned on so I'm reasonably sure the PTO, clutch, and safety switches are working OK.  The starter is OK for sure . It spins up when connected to the baery,  There is no click from the solenoid when the switch is turned.  Tried jumping to boost voltage but no go.  I replaced the solenoid but still nothing.  I'm flummoxed. 

Any sugestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

you guys have really help kepp the old horse running/

Tim

953 nut

Tim, try a jumper acrost the solenoid, if that dosen't start it you may have a bad or coroced battery cable end, try using a jumper cable in parallel with each battery/starter cable one at a time, if the starter turns over with the jumper in place you will know which one is bad.

Good luck!                                                                                :USA: 

gwest_ca

What is the model number and serial number on this tractor? Should be on a decal under the seat. Want to look for the proper wiring diagram.

Garry

timcroft

It is a Model 416-8   #73420
year 1995
SN 3900341 

I will try paralleling the cables.  I put current to the starter with the solenoid off and it spun.

My oil light flashes when I turn the key.  The oil level is full but I'm wondering if the flashing means I may have a short in that line.  Does that sensor override the start sequence?

gwest_ca

If your tractor was a 1995 model the serial would start with a 5. A 3 is 1993.

The oil light should flash any time the key is on with no oil pressure. Engine running the oil pressure switch should open which removes the ground from the oil light.

Detailed wiring diagrams

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2108-tractor-1992-1997-416-8-416-h-wiring-detailedpdf/

Garry

timcroft

Thank you for the wiring diagram Garry.  Is that guide avalable online?  Having things broken down by funtion is SO much easier to understand.

I am inspired by the effort "the wise"  expend to guide "the weary" . A gup of coffee and then off to the garage!

Tim 

dsholler

Solenoid is a pretty simple thing, and one of our other members (SOI) guided me into taking one apart. For the $25 or so that you have at risk, it might be worth just taking the thing off, taking it apart and having a look at it.. It think the only thing that can really go wrong with them is that the interior parts get pitted from sparking to the point where they do not make good contact, or the exterior contacts are not that good. You have checked that power is getting to the solenoid when you turn the key to start, so the next think is to make sure the exterior contacts are in good shape, and then take it apart and check the interior ones.. turn stuff around if it is not in good shape.  Or you could be lazy like me, and just put a new one in, and then take the old one apart later for curiosity's sake. 

BTW, I am assuming you checked that there was current if you jumped the solenoid poles. The blue tab is only the actuator, doesn't crank the engine, just moves the doodad inside the solenoid (you can see I am very technical here :)  ) basically all it does is connect the two poles on the top of the solenoid. If you jump them externally and the engine doesn't crank, then as 953 nut mentioned, your problem is elsewhere.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Thank you for the wiring diagram Garry.  Is that guide avalable online?  Having things broken down by funtion is SO much easier to understand.

I am inspired by the effort "the wise"  expend to guide "the weary" . A gup of coffee and then off to the garage!

Tim 

Yes it is available - all 523 pages

There are mistakes in it as some wiring is not correct for the model listed.

Garry

Jbo13

Well I also have a 416-8 and the starter spins

But doesn't engage I tried tapping with a

Rubber mallet but no luck. Do I just need

A solenoid?

bitten

If your starter is spinning and not engaging than your solenoid is good. You can try taking the starter off clean the end piece and add a little grease to it. 

Jbo13

Ok thanks hopefully that will do the trick

dsholler

I would not put grease on the starter shaft.. At least on my 414, all sorts of dirt gets up under there, and grease would cause it to stick. I would use some kind of dry lubricant. I used graphite powder because I had some lying around. I had the same problem, seemed to be a result of some water getting up in there while snowblowing.

I dont know which engine/starter you have, but on my M14 all I needed to do was take off the blower housing to get at the shaft and gear.