Sign in to follow this  
Rideking

Gravel Road Maintenance - What Attachments?

Rideking

Hey guys - I live off a gravel road that always has potholes and washed out sections, what attachments would you recommend for gravel road maintenance? Harrow, grader blade (rear or mid), cultivator???? I'll be using my 310-8, I'm open to welding /fabricating up something...what recommendations can you make?   

dbartlett1958

Rideking,

I would start with a rear mount grader blade, then if you have the luxury, get a York "type" rock rake to tow behind to smooth things out. A cheap alternative is a piece of chain link fence attached to a piece of 2 x 4 that is pulled behind the tractor to smooth things out.

Ed Kennell

I use my rear mounted  dethatcher loaded down with a 100 lb wt.. to groom my stone road. The springy tines loosen the stones on the high spots, and I find they make thier way to the low spots without any grading. Then I roll it to set the loose stones.

squonk

I hear one of those rear box scrapers with the scarifier teeth work best for grave road maint.

tarcoleo

Rideking-  This old thread might be helpful-

Since this posting, I have improved the effectiveness of the spikes on the tire by adding

1/2" rod couplers topped with 1/2" fender washers.  This extends the spikes and makes the

washers  at the tip effective scrapers of grass and weeds.  This might be hard to follow, so I'll try to

get a picture up.

Tom

AMC RULES

:WRS: 

How long is the road your doing maintenance on? 

Rideking

Thanks for the reply guys, the drive is about 80 yards of very old hard packed gravel. I'm thinking I'll put together a rake and weight it down. Maybe wait until after a good rain to work on the really hard packed places? Does anyone have experience with a mid mount box blade like I have seen else where on the forums?

leeave96

I think a good combo would be a clevis/sleeve hitch mounted cultivator - just to loosen things-up. Then a 50 inch mid mounted grader blade with side panels attached to box the blade and contain the gravel/dirt. With the dial-a-hite set where you want it, you could fill in holes and remove high spots at the same time.

I would recommend two tractors dedicated for these tasks, each with it's own implement.

Now you have the driveway under control, your driveway seat time has doubled and you got two more Wheelhorse tractors in addition to the one you've got. It a win-win situation... ;)