Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

Form A Gasket

MaineDad

Has anyone tried Form A Gasket instead of using the actual real gasket? I am considering trying it to stop the leak in my motor pump. Perhaps there is a slight warp that is not allowing the gasket to seal correctly. Not sure, but I am willing to try.

Your thoughts?

Docwheelhorse

Hi,

go to NAPA and pick up a tube or Permatex HYLOMAR. It is a non hardening gasket dressing that was invented and is used by Rolls Royce on all of there motors/tranis. I have used it on my Kohler K181 heads that wouldn't hold a gasket. The stuff is amazing and you won't be sorry to spend the $15 for a tube.

Tony

Docwheelhorse

Sorry---should have mentioned that you do use a factory gasket PLUS the HYLOMAR. Not just the HYLOMAR B)

kpinnc

I've used rubberized gasket material and gasket dressing on a transaxle case a couple times, with good results.

Now if I can just figure out why new axle seals leak...

Kevin

MaineDad

Do I have to completely dry the metal before it is applied? How long does it take to dry?

Docwheelhorse

Hi-yes the metal needs to be clean and dry, the product never actually "dries" it stays in a tacky "flowable" state. You don't use much, a very thin bead on the two metal halves with the gasket in the middle and it should be fine. Use too much and it will squish out and get into places you don't want. I haven't had anything but great results on flatheads that had trouble with there gaskets.

Tony

oldandred

I've used rubberized gasket material and gasket dressing on a transaxle case a couple times, with good results.

Now if I can just figure out why new axle seals leak...

Kevin

Kevin jack up the tractor in other words get the rear wheels off the groung try to move the wheel back and forth not rolling then try the up and down with the wheel if it moves up and down the bearing is bad in the housing now if theres no

movement the axles have groves in them or the seal was pinched when installed

kpinnc

Kevin jack up the tractor in other words get the rear wheels off the groung try to move the wheel back and forth not rolling then try the up and down with the wheel if it moves up and down the bearing is bad in the housing now if theres no

movement the axles have groves in them or the seal was pinched when installed

Yeah, tried that one. It appears to be leaking at the very outer edge of the seal, like a "high spot" in the lip of the case.

I may have gouged it somehow when I tapped the seal in. It's one of the hydro seals with the metal ring on it.

No play in the bearings...

And please forgive the hijack! B)

Thanks!

Kevin

perry

Hi,

go to NAPA and pick up a tube or Permatex HYLOMAR. I have used it on my Kohler K181 heads that wouldn't hold a gasket.tube.

Tony

take the head up to your local lawn shop and have it resurfaced. its fairly cheap and works good.

64s

take the head up to your local lawn shop and have it resurfaced. its fairly cheap and works good.

Very True!!!!!!!!!! Its better to make something right and put it together than smear it with something that the factory never intended it to have. And yes there are circumstances where good enough is good enough, but where possible, right is right!

B)

Rod(NASNUT)

Yeah, tried that one. It appears to be leaking at the very outer edge of the seal, like a "high spot" in the lip of the case.

I may have gouged it somehow when I tapped the seal in. It's one of the hydro seals with the metal ring on it.

No play in the bearings...

And please forgive the hijack! :whistle:

Thanks!

Kevin

Electro12WH

In some situations, not using a gasket will make a difference with clearances. A head will have less valve clearance without the gasket.