Sign in to follow this  
speedyleedy

312-8speed won't start

speedyleedy

I have a 1991 312-8sp while I I was mowing a bank the other day it stop running like it was out of gas so I check the gas but it wasn't . So I push it back the garage to check it & it started up run for a bit then stop running the starter didn't act right but started up after shut off a couple of time it started up  & I finished the yard .So today I get it out started then stop then it popped couple of times  then the starter quit working change the battery sometimes it turn over sometimes it don't  but still won't run it getting gas & it always ran good just need some help don't know were to start

dsholler

You said the starter turns over sometimes but not others, is that correct? WHen the starter does turn over, does it start and run?

This question is based on the simple theory that there are only 3 things that matter - fuel, air and spark. It sounds like you might have an electrical issue if it is affecting the starter.

If you want to check the simplest thing, make sure the ground strap has not gotten loose. On my 414, the ground wires are held to the frame with a sheet metal screw that goes through the metal on the tower and is held in with a clip. I have had that screw vibrate loose on me a few times, and it caused the started to fail to work. I never had it die on me, but I also have some corrosion on the battery box that says I have a bit of current leakage, so there may have been another path to ground when the thing is running.

WH nut

If its a 312 Magnum all you need for it to run is gas and get it spinning. It doesnt need the rest of the electrical sysem to run. Its Mag ignition. Sounds like you have a couple of problems. If the starter is sounding funny Id pull it a part and have a look see.

speedyleedy

When it does turn over it doesn't seem to want to start  .

Wheel-N-It

First check to see  if you have spark at your spark plug. Then make sure gas is getting to the carb. Check the oil level. Yours should have a low oil level shutdown. Cover these main bases first.

Acen Stevens

umm do you guys happen to know what points are in the wheel horeses? i was told that my tractor needs them.