Sign in to follow this  
bowtiedan79

tiller attachment; how do I keep belt from jumping off...

bowtiedan79

I have a late 1980's model 310-8. I bought a tiller attachment and found the mid-mount idler pulley, lift-assist spring, incredibly long belt and all the stuff I needed to hook this thing up and go tilling. It works great; as long as the belt stays on....

Is there anyone with any tips on what I can do to keep the belt from hopping off??? PLEASE HELP; it's driving me nuts having to stop and keep putting the belt back on :)

312Hydro

Some pics of the idler setup and tiller with the belt on would help. Make sure that the belt is tracking in the middle of the the flat idler pulleys and that the spring has enough tension. You can shim the pulleys with washers if they need to move out. :WRS:

KC9KAS

:WRS:  And I agree.....pulley alignment and belt tension are the problem. You may be missing a pulley, so pictures will help us out.

KyBlue

I don't know what belt you used, but ... the OE belt is coated in some sorta .... fabric? It was stupid expensive to buy but ... It works. Mine doesn't throw the belt and is wicked tight when its all together ...

As the rest suggested ... Belt tension and Pulley alignment.

Marv

Here is a thought. If you shut the tiller off and back up while the tiller tines are touching the ground the belt will jump off.

• Like 1

MalMac

Marv is right, I just went through this. I changed tractors that I use my tiller on. For some reason the tractor I changed to would not raise the tiller as high and every time I back up and the tines bump the ground the belt would jump or even moving forward in raised position it would jump if the tines even as so much just touch the ground.

W9JAB

Long belts can be a problem, and belt alignment, is critical for proper operation.

I have had the same problems with my snow blower attachment.

Here are some of the things I did to solve the problem of belts jumping ship.

It may give you some ideas for your set up.

I use a cheep laser (pen or any straight line laser) set the line in the center of the belt, move (shim) your pulleys to keep the belt straight.

moreblower005.jpg

I also added some extra idlers, both “vee†and flat (for back side of the belt)

Also added “stop wires†to keep alignment when in the clutching mode.

• Like 1

Forest Road

The rear idler pulley is most likely your problem. Either shim it out w washers or bend the bracket ever so slightly to get the belt to track dead center. Or your rear drive pulley could be pulled in or out. I recall having to shim my idler and my problems went away.

• Like 1