Sign in to follow this  
westkane

520 HC Carburetor Dirty - How to

westkane

Thanks for the replies to my previous post.  Are there any links, how to's, etc for cleaning/rebuilding my carb on this site (or others)?  I have rebuilt my updraft carb on my 1953 Super M a couple of times, but have never tinkered with the lawn tractor until now.  Any help/input would be greatly appreciated on how to do this. Thanks again for your replies

JackC

The 520 HC has the pre-emissions carburetor which is easier to clean than the later spec G engine carburetors.  A thorough cleaning requires removing the carburetor from the engine, taking it apart and soaking it in carburetor cleaner over night.  Then replace the gaskets and float needle.  I had to remove both the exhaust and intake manifolds and needed new manifold gaskets.  You also need to be careful with torque specs since the engine block is aluminum and you can strip threads very easily putting things back together.

Some get away with just taking the top off the carburetor and cleaning the ethanol particles out of the bowl and inlet.  If you are careful you might get away with re-using the gasket in the carburetor.  You might try that first since the thorough way is more involved and time consuming.  When I cleaned my carburetor is was full of ethanol crap.  Taking the manifolds off allowed me to clean the dirt and grime off the engine better.