Hatedge

C160 hydro and trans fluid

Hatedge

Ive read in the manual that I should use 10/30 oil in tme C160 trans. I find it odd, I wouldve put 80/90 gear oil in there. But on the hydro part I havent found what type of fluid I sould use. Should I use  ATF dextron? And if not what fluid Is the right one and how do I get the fluid level?

Second question: On the left hand side of my c160 hydro pump there's a hydraulic hose that comes out and back in. I find that a bit odd. Anyone care to explain this one to me?

post-10061-0-98267200-1366850284_thumb.j

squonk

Use Mobil 1 10w30 and either a Toro or Napa 1410 filter. The hoses were for hydraulic lift valve. The hoses need to be looped if you have a manual lift.

Trouty56

There are plugs for the tranny but maybe someone took the lift cylinder off (could have been leaking all over the place) and didn't have the plugs so they looped the one hose. Heck the implement hardware might still be in the pump.

Doesn't have to be synthetic but the prices are pretty close anymore for high cost dino oil and low cost synthetic.  Wallys Mart brand cost only 18 or so bucks for 5 qts.

Squonks got it right on the filters.....

Hatedge

There are plugs for the tranny but maybe someone took the lift cylinder off (could have been leaking all over the place) and didn't have the plugs so they looped the one hose. Heck the implement hardware might still be in the pump.

Doesn't have to be synthetic but the prices are pretty close anymore for high cost dino oil and low cost synthetic.  Wallys Mart brand cost only 18 or so bucks for 5 qts.

Do you mean to tell me that I could hook a body valve and a cylinder to this and get a 3 point or hydraulic lift :) ? If so I need to hear more details as to how one goes about hookking this up 

chevyaddict83

Do you mean to tell me that I could hook a body valve and a cylinder to this and get a 3 point or hydraulic lift :) ? If so I need to hear more details as to how one goes about hookking this up 

I need to know more about this too

Sent from my 416-8

Trouty56

I need to know more about this too

Sent from my 416-8

All the sundstrand hydro's have the implement capability but not all are equipped with the necessary parts to control the flow.  If that hardware is not in the pump then the implement lines are plugged from the get go.  Since there is a hose on this particular tractor it leads me to believe the necessary hardware may be in the pump. The parts list for a 120 or 160 hydro will show the parts needed.

Edited by Trouty56

pfrederi

What color is the fluid in there now?  Red is ATF (Dexron).  Tan is motor oil.  Unless you want to completely flush the system stick with what you have...do not mix them.

Hatedge

I check the dipstick under the seat and its tan in color. So I guess that means its engine oil or gear oil in there now. The oil seems clean enough and has good smell. No reason to doubt the right oil has been used I guess.

Now, on the  C160 I have the lifting system off a parts C120 but the lifting mecanism minus the lever is in a box of random parts that the seller gave me. If im not mistaken the lifting Assy. has a 3rd bracket that falls betwix the frame and the foot rest. That gets me guessing that it used to be a hydro lift in the pas and was modified to receive the gerryrigged lever thats on there now. I do have a hydro cylinder lying around that I could use to get this hydro lift working I think. But im still puzzled at the lack of hydro controls on the tractor  though. Theres no trace of them control valves that have been removed. Ill have to double check the manuals.

Hatedge

Well, I think that this little C160 is really starting to be a good little horsie. I have been using it near everyday for the past month and I am quite amazed at the capabilities of such a small machine. I used it to level 3 tons of sand to install a new pool in me yard with the dozer blade, then used the dozer blade to push some big stones that I couldnt lift off the ground cos they were so heavy, I wanted to impress the inlaws that didnt beleive these GTs were strong so I hoked My cherokee behind it and towed it some. That got me wondering at how far can the little beast go so : I have been clearing a trail in the forest and hooked a 5X7 trailer behind the C160 and piled it 3 foot high with logs. The blade suspention on the trailer ws bent all the way but The Wheel Horse pulled it with minimum effort 3 miles out of the woods !!! NOW  thats a fun machine to have around. I really loved my bolens 1886 but this tiny c160 is very impressive and might just be the replacement I was looking for after all. :)

Jeff-C175

its tan in color

Tan as in golden brownish, like oil should look?

Or Tan as in 'chocolate milk' ?

If you've got chocolate milk Tan, it means you've got water in there along with whatever oil...

Hatedge

its tan in color

Tan as in golden brownish, like oil should look?

Or Tan as in 'chocolate milk' ?

If you've got chocolate milk Tan, it means you've got water in there along with whatever oil...

Well... chocolate milk aint Tan to me.

Jeff-C175

Maybe yer not using enough Bosco? :ychain:

Just sayin'... as long as you know it's not water in the oil, that's my point.

Hatedge

Maybe yer not using enough Bosco? :ychain:

Just sayin'... as long as you know it's not water in the oil, that's my point.

LOLLL no, I dont think theres water in there. Its actually in a pretty decent state and I beleive the PO kept it indoors. Theres only a bit of surface rust and all the attachements are in A1 condition :) . Right now I'm debating stripping the MF14 of its hydro kit to use it on the WH C160

i967mustang

My C160 has a tag on it that says to use 10-30 motor oil in it. If it had hydraulic lift and it was taken off and a regular lift installed they would have removed the lift control for the manual lift stop. Also they would have had to change the rock shaft. I just finished converting my C160 8 speed to Hydro with hydraulic lift. The lift cyl. goes in between the running board and the frame, the running board gets moved further outboard and has a link in the rear where there is a square hole in the running board. This actually carries the hoses and supports the rear inside of the running board.