Sign in to follow this  
mrmowitall

Shifter problem

mrmowitall

I noticed when I parked my 800 Special last year that the shifter wasn't going into gear right. I just took it out for the first time this year and it runs great. However when I took it out of first gear I couldn't get it in any other gear. The trans is fine, it's the shifter. It just flops around like there's nothing there. I see that there's a couple of bolts holding a cover on that holds the shifter on. Transmissions not being my strong point, I was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is and what's under that cover. Thanks

stevasaurus

First...Welcome to Red Square.  Lift up the rubber boot on the shifter.  Should see a lock nut.toward the front end of the tractor...it is on a dog point set screw.  The set screw is 1/8" alllen wrench and the other end sticks into a ball on the shifter.  It is what the ball of the shifter swivels on to facilitate going into the gears.  My guess is that the point broke off...if you are lucky...the screw just backed out.  I am not going to say it is an easy fix...but the set screws are available and plenty of help here.  Let us know what you find. :)

bowtieguy

800 special is probably a Peerless tranny????? :scratchead:...a 3 speed p/n 101127 according to the manual.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Thanks Frank...I did not check out which trans it was.  Sorry, I have no knowledge of those trannys...hopefully someone that knows will chime in here. :)

gwest_ca

Should be a Peerless 1400 with a brake drum. Used in the 1971 800 Special and 1974 A-90 Special.

Here is a service manual

The parts list

Might be a problem. Have looked at 2 other service manuals and don't see the 1400 in them

I also do not recall how I come up with the 1400. Will do some checking.

Wheel Horse always had a part number to identify the transmissions but that was all it was for.

Garry

gwest_ca

Found the application for the Peerless 1400 in this service bulletin

Garry

gwest_ca

Operator manual

Illustrated parts list

Garry

stevasaurus

Garry, you are incredible...thanks for helping this guy out. :)

mrmowitall

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to get to it this weekend. I'll let you know.